News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Definitely important to remember what the building they started with looked like. It was a difficult canvas to start with, but they at least selected a good palette and you can tell that some thought went into the materials used.

I thought the proportions looked weird in the DP renderings, but this still turned out better than I expected, mainly because they improved the layout of the staircases.

The fact that they were able to open up half of the ground floor by removing a significant amount of fill is a win in my mind. The elevation of the north side of the street to the sidewalk isn’t very inviting pretty much all along 34th from this point east, yet they’ve managed to make both the ground floor and second floor pretty inviting.

One thing that's kind of unique about this Marda Loop development is that the builders really are trying something very intentionally, particularly at the ground level and exterior. I don't recall many construction sites that plant their garden and clean up the sidewalk prior to even finishing the structure.
There was a night market held on 34 Ave earlier in the summer. I overheard one of the developers say that they wanted to clean up the front of the building in time for the market to help demonstrate their vision to the rest of the community. It really shows a rare attention to detail and willingness to experiment on the part of the developer. I agree with everyone else. Despite its aesthetic shortcomings, the building is a huge win for the neighbourhood.

Just a couple of interesting townhome projects that have recently been submitted I have found, both with FAAS as the architect:

Eagle Crest Construction has one in Lower Mount Royal at 1023 Cameron Avenue:
What is there now, Land Use Submission, DP submission
From the DP drawings:
1663797744830.png
1663797779163.png

1663797798922.png

The second one is by Gill Developments, and is right behind Truman's 33rd Street project next to Westbrook LRT station.
Developer website, DP submission
From the drawings:
1663798095171.png

Kind of disappointing that they allowed a driveway off the front of this development, especially since there is access in the alley. All the parking could have been amalgamated in the rear unit with a hallway or covered access to the front unit.
1664851189185.png

Lots of neighbourhoods trying to push for legislation that protects SFH development. I get that people like their house, but in a growing city we need to intensify within city limits.
I will never understand the mental gymnastics required to advocate for the government to protect my property rights by restricting my rights to use of property.

We should get rid of all low-density residential land uses and all their distinctions entirely and roll it into one. While we are at it, strip out all parking requirements and add low-scale retail as an option in all land uses.

Last edited:

Back