Oh I'm very much excited! Just tempered significantly with reality. I mean, you just have to look at Sugar Wharf, Daniel's, and Lakeside. Monde is great, but all the others range from bland to just butt-ugly. The Quayside renders are just so fantastical in comparison that I don't have the confidence to treat it as anything but fantasy. I am excited though! :D

Oh I'm very much excited! Just tempered significantly with reality. I mean, you just have to look at Sugar Wharf, Daniel's, and Lakeside. Monde is great, but all the others range from bland to just butt-ugly. The Quayside renders are just so fantastical in comparison that I don't have the confidence to treat it as anything but fantasy. I am excited though! :D
I totally hear you and agree with said "butt-ugly" projects.

But the projects you're using as a comparison are not direct apples to apples with the situation at Quayside – which has international attention, a larger RFP process for a neighbourhood (with a cultural hub), and signed on internationally celebrated architects and planners. Why I think we'll get a step above Bayside vs. what we've seen with the buildings to the immediate west (which are disappointments).

Toronto Model 05-05-22 Quayside.png

Sidewalk Labs and/or Trudeau may have skirted lobbying rules by chatting about the Quayside proposal in 2017.

(paywall)

I'm afraid to say, but stuff like that is all too common irrespective of who's in power.

There are loopholes in lobbying rules that loom quite large, above and beyond which people may just ignore them, and accept what risk may flow from that.

Just a time-line tidbit from a recent Waterfront Toronto blog... they are launching a design competition in 2023 for Silo Park just east of Parliament Slip.

Looks there's a chance we may see both Silo Park and perhaps Parliament Slip established, well before the Quayside community starts to rise.

44475-131389.jpg

UT

Back