Even without any bells and whistles, this building looks so much sharper than the messy girl to the north (1 Yorkville).

I disagree. 1 Yorkville has character in the unique organic cladding and is one of the more memorable towers in the city. This building, while handsome, feels generic and redundant in the skyline.

I disagree. 1 Yorkville has character in the unique organic cladding and is one of the more memorable towers in the city. This building, while handsome, feels generic and redundant in the skyline.
I'll give 1 Yorkville a B, this one is more like C+. On certain days, 1 Yorkville even makes this tower look more interesting, as seen in the pic below (my shot from last month)

274CDAA9-95DA-4CEB-8EF4-49698A75D4B6.jpeg

While I'm not a fan of the overall design, it's interesting to see that aA adapted their minimalist glass box design language quite well to the new building code requirements limiting the use of glass.

The reflective sprandrel panels that have the same sheen as the windows are interesting. The tower looks quite similar to what they were designing in their heyday in the mid 2000s through 2010s (e.g. Murano/Burano). It would be nice to see more evolution and change in contemporary tower design from the firm.

While I'm not a fan of the overall design, it's interesting to see that aA adapted their minimalist glass box design language quite well to the new building code requirements limiting the use of glass.

The reflective sprandrel panels that have the same sheen as the windows are interesting. The tower looks quite similar to what they were designing in their heyday in the mid 2000s through 2010s (e.g. Murano/Burano). It would be nice to see more evolution and change in contemporary tower design from the firm.
I was just going to say that I'm surprised how early 2000/mid 2000s this tower is for something complete in 2023.

Back