Heritage buildings are on fire here; 3-alarm blaze.

Credit to @elcorrerador for pointing this out in the neighbourhood thread for Moss Park, and posting this photo:

1666896351758.png

Currently listed as a 3-alarm fire; this is one of two serious fires on-going in the downtown area, the other being at Oak and River.

Hopefully there are no injuries in either case, and hopefully the key heritage elements here can be saved.

Last edited:
Good, this will block some views of that horrible grey BORG wall to the west. I really hate that building...it just looms over the area.

Good, this will block some views of that horrible grey BORG wall to the west. I really hate that building...it just looms over the area.
The Modern? Building isn't that bad, was hotly debated on here 15 years ago. First construction hoist I ever rode. Wow, that takes me back...

And that building is now gone. The auto body shop is probably next. The powder blue brick building in the foreground left may go after that, though it appears to have been repurposed as a site office, so maybe it will stay for a while.

IMG_20221111_123823.jpg

EDIT: Also there's several people reportingh rats are now everywhere in the neighbourhood. There were a lot, possibly hundreds living in those semi-abandoned buildings all now looking for somewhere to go.

Last edited:
EDIT: Also there's several people reportingh rats are now everywhere in the neighbourhood. There were a lot, possibly hundreds living in those semi-abandoned buildings all now looking for somewhere to go.

With apologies to the rats, it should actually be standard protocol to fumigate a building before demo.

Would save everyone lots of hassle.

Rats aren't just something that's a bother, they are, in fact, a non-native, invasive species.

One that we would actually eliminate, over time, if we wanted to; Alberta is entirely rat-free, (not counting the members of the UCP, LOL)

And that building is now gone. The auto body shop is probably next. The powder blue brick building in the foreground left may go after that, though it appears to have been repurposed as a site office, so maybe it will stay for a while.
Well I was wrong, the old auto-body shop is the last building left on the premises.

IMG_20221115_104500.jpg

My mistake. Looks like there was still one more building to go. They have brought in a crane to assist that is blocking part of Queen St. today.

The building beyond that one is the old Diamond Taxi headquarters, which I know was still used through 2019, but I assume has been mothballed post-pandemic, as all the taxi companies have moved the dispatch completely online and remote working from what I can tell. Either way, I think that is not part of this development.

IMG_20221119_105216.jpg

My mistake. Looks like there was still one more building to go. They have brought in a crane to assist that is blocking part of Queen St. today.

The building beyond that one is the old Diamond Taxi headquarters, which I know was still used through 2019, but I assume has been mothballed post-pandemic, as all the taxi companies have moved the dispatch completely online and remote working from what I can tell. Either way, I think that is not part of this development.

View attachment 439955
The former Diamond Taxi Building is Designated:

Address:
251 QUEEN ST E
Ward:
13​
Designated Part IV​
List Date:
Nov 9, 2016​
Intention Date:
Dec 5, 2016​
By-Law:
572-2022​
Part IV Date:
Jun 16, 2022​
Part V Date:
Heritage District:
N/A​
District Status:
Heritage Easement Ag:
Registration Date:
Building Type:
Industrial​
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details:
S. Price and Sons Dairy Building. City Council listed 245 Queen Street East on the City's Heritage Register November 9, 2016. Council stated it's intention to Designate December 5, 2016. Designation by-law 572-2022 enacted June 16, 2022.​

The building will be facadectomised while the western half of this large block is developed. This from the UT Database thread:

1668874770276.png

Back