Agreed. There are too many surface parking lots. They detract from the vitality of the downtown core. In the future, people either live downtown if they work there or take the LRT and other high-quality transit connections into downtown. Those are key elements to properly revitalize downtown Hamilton and to realize its economic potential.
Hopefully one will build a decent sized grocery store down there. All their is really is Nation's and Denningers. When I lived at Bay 200 I used to go up the mountain to get my groceries.

some of the gold cladding has started to be installed - just a few panels right now. There is the terrible spandrel sub-panels installed on the first two floors, which will then be covered by the aluminum gold panels which look much, much better. You can see the gold panels in the bottom right:

A zoom in:

HjnCSPE.png

From UT.

As an aside, that first shot is to me proof why the downtown height limit is such a failure. It's based on some idea of protecting views from the escarpment, but as we can see in the photo below, taken from the top of the escarpment, the height limit still allows buildings to block views of everything but the sky itself... Not sure what views are being preserved exactly.

52778940943_3dc201c8f7_b.jpg

52776422159_a9b483a8d2_b.jpg

Glass on the ground floor:

rDx3Bqch.jpg

Kind of amazing - same developer, same architect, yet this looks pretty good while our Travesty-on-College is precisely that...
I believe that DSAI felt pretty stung by what Knightstone did to their design on College, leaving them determined not to have a repeat happen. No idea if Knightstone similarly felt bruised by the reception… …but there was certainly enough of negative reaction to go around so that it very likely figured into decisions made for this building. The original DSAI designs for Knighstone on College looked quite good, so there was at least an early ambition to do something good there... thank goodness the pocketbook was opened up enough here to get a quality exterior!

Back