It literally couldn’t have been more perfect for the context of the site. That is absurd. Why does the city bow to nimby’s?

Bizarre. Wonder why? That’s perfect for that spot.

“The Board finds that the proposed development is overbuilt in relation to the parcel size. This is demonstrated by the parking relaxation, the building being over height, the developer maximizing FAR so that amenity space is concentrated to a common area on the rooftop, the window intensity for the east-facing units concentrated solely across the east façade of the building, and the lack of loading stalls. The proposal to use the adjacent development’s parking stalls only demonstrates further that the building is too much to allow the proposed development to function on its own. The proposed development requires an agreement with the adjacent building to provide a loading area, a connector walkway and vehicle access to the loading area that it cannot provide within its own design. It requires a garbage staging area to be located in the rear setback area that compromises landscaping requirements.”

Full decision Here

Yeah, project exceeds / breaks numerous requirements that are in place, still manages to get approval from administration, but then loses at SDAB. Perhaps a scaled back design that can actually fit on the parcel. Or, next step would be a DC zoning bylaw having council directly say those rules do not need to apply, however with the current Councilor for that ward, I don't see it happening.....

Yeah, project exceeds / breaks numerous requirements that are in place, still manages to get approval from administration, but then loses at SDAB. Perhaps a scaled back design that can actually fit on the parcel. Or, next step would be a DC zoning bylaw having council directly say those rules do not need to apply, however with the current Councilor for that ward, I don't see it happening.....
Keep in mind he's only one councilor. If I recall, Druh Farrell was against the Sola development, but the other councilors voted in favor.

DP Drawings are already up:
1668625780310.png

With commercial uses no longer having parking minimums in the land use bylaw, I imagine this will be harder to appeal.

Back