News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What would a huge artificial tree cost? An upfront capital investment could solve this issue for years to come, save a few real trees, and be more consistent in appearance.

Currently going up at the Leg.

FiMdjGEaUAAsyrE

As former chair of the Downtown Business Association and architect for the Winston Churchill Square redevelopment, our centennial project in 2004, I am disappointed with the decision to delete the Christmas Tree from our square.

Having worked with 65 community stakeholders, the functional program for the square was a highly inclusive process, culminating in the formal dedication by Churchill’s daughter.

The key urban design drivers for the square were the governmental and arts facilities surrounding it: The square had to host numerous assembly functions and festivals throughout the year, to celebrate the erection of the Christmas tree to oversee the Christmas and New Year events and most importantly, to accommodate the ceremonies to recognize Remembrance Day. The square was a recipient of an Edmonton Urban Design Award of Excellence in 2005.

Whereas I am most enthused by the pedestrian events being planned for Rice Howard Way this holiday season, there will be a significant gap created by the elimination of the Christmas tree from our city square. History should be respected and embraced in our urban context, not ignored. I look forward to seeing the tree in its rightful location next year.

Craig JB Henderson, Edmonton

Looks like a success so far. I couldn't go, but just wondering if any of you made it down.

I went for a quick tour. They closed off a small section of 100a Street from rice Howard way to 102 Ave.

Attendance seemed decent. Long lines for the free stuff.

Activities and engagement slightly lacking for me. Although the art in the alley beside craft was cool to see people enjoying. Enbridge Centre really stepped up to allow music and markets and food into their lobbies and tenant spaces. City Centre and a few other businesses around RHW also stepped up.

Overall the layout and continuity should have been planned better. Felt a little disjointed especially by the empty regency site. I would have focused the festival along rice Howard way from 100 Street to 101 Street, closing all vehicle access. I thought the 124 Street light up festival where two city blocks along 124 street were closed to vehicles was better.

I went for a quick tour. They closed off a small section of 100a Street from rice Howard way to 102 Ave.

Attendance seemed decent. Long lines for the free stuff.

Activities and engagement slightly lacking for me. Although the art in the alley beside craft was cool to see people enjoying. Enbridge Centre really stepped up to allow music and markets and food into their lobbies and tenant spaces. City Centre and a few other businesses around RHW also stepped up.

Overall the layout and continuity should have been planned better. Felt a little disjointed especially by the empty regency site. I would have focused the festival along rice Howard way from 100 Street to 101 Street, closing all vehicle access. I thought the 124 Street light up festival where two city blocks along 124 street were closed to vehicles was better.
I agree, I was there last night too and thought all of Rice Howard Way shoudl've been closed off to vehicles and more engaging activities planned. Standing around a burning barrel looking at the odd lit-up rat (that was an actual art piece) isn't my idea of a fun winter festival.

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 1.53.57 PM.png

For more information:
EdmontonDowntown.com/events
ExploreEdmonton.com/things-to-do
WinterCityEdmonton.ca/events
Ten Ways to Embrace Winter in Edmonton

Looking at this picture it still makes me wonder why the stadium was built with no roof structure at all. Even just an overhang or something.

Reactions: God

Back