I got a response about what the preliminary work was on the southeast corner of Old Cherry and Commissioners. WT replied that they were foundation and utility work for a playground.

Last edited:
View attachment 536942

Key bit from the above:

1706801089457.png

Also, some serious gardening:

1706801133914.png

Fire and ice. And water. 🧊 🔥 💦

I think it was my grandfather who once said, ‘if you live long enough, you’re going to see some pretty strange stuff’. I think I knew that what you’re about to see was a ‘thing’ since it must be done with underwater work for oil drills, etc. But, with ice!?

Removal of these involves underwater welding (visible in first two images along the metal barrier).

IMG_6568.jpeg

IMG_6579.jpeg

Buddy popped his head up to do some above water/ice work…

IMG_6573.jpeg

IMG_6574.jpeg

IMG_6563.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6566.jpeg

Plenty of workers along all this section…

IMG_6581.jpeg

Seems as if water is a bit higher here…

IMG_6586.jpeg

IMG_6587.jpeg

Now that Villers St is closed, work seems to be significantly ramped up presumably to work on opening the ‘throat’ of the Don?

IMG_6589.jpeg

IMG_6590.jpeg

In anticipation of 💦💦💦

IMG_6591.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6568.jpeg
    IMG_6568.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Not sure who took this drone shot for this BlogTO article, but that's WAAAAAY to high to be flying right next to Billy Bishop airport.

Even with a special exemption to shoot in that area you are NOT allowed to fly that high.

Yikes.

View attachment 536984

They source Waterfront Toronto at the bottom of the page, so I'm guessing they got special clearance but I'm not entirely sure.

Fire and ice. And water. 🧊 🔥 💦

I think it was my grandfather who once said, ‘if you live long enough, you’re going to see some pretty strange stuff’. I think I knew that what you’re about to see was a ‘thing’ since it must be done with underwater work for oil drills, etc. But, with ice!?

Removal of these involves underwater welding (visible in first image along the metal barrier).

View attachment 536982

View attachment 536967

Buddy popped his head up to do some above water/ice work…

View attachment 536968

View attachment 536969

View attachment 536970

View attachment 536972

View attachment 536971

Plenty of workers along all this section…

View attachment 536973

Seems as if water is a bit higher here…

View attachment 536974

View attachment 536975

Now that Villers St is closed, work seems to be significantly ramped up presumably to work on opening the ‘throat’ of the Don?

View attachment 536976

View attachment 536977

In anticipation of 💦💦💦

View attachment 536978
That's a lot more water that I expected to see considering it's only been 24 hours since they began pumping. Is a lot of it just what's collected/melted from the winter showers?

That's a lot more water that I expected to see considering it's only been 24 hours since they began pumping. Is a lot of it just what's collected/melted from the winter showers?
Hasn't been much precipitation in the last few days, so that's primarily 'fresh' water near 'lemon' bridge. In the south view from 'orange', this is somewhat 'uphill' from where they've added the new water inflow. Much of that water was already there as meltwater I think. But it seems a bit higher than recent views here, so the new lake water has likely reached this point, and we'll only see it rise further in the next two weeks. I was tempted to use a time-lapse mode on my phone to capture any rise, but I'd likely be there all day!

Last edited:
Not sure who took this drone shot for this BlogTO article, but that's WAAAAAY to high to be flying on the exact flight path into Billy Bishop airport.

Even with a special exemption to shoot in that area you are NOT allowed to fly that high.

Yikes.
Are you sure that wasn't satellite based? Something that was shot by a drive by Starlink or other?

Went this morning to observe the river
IMG_6672.png
IMG_6663.jpeg
bed filling with water but my pix are the same as above. What I will post are images of the playground and utilities work that seems to be the first structures to emerge. Also posted an image of what is planned.

IMG_6673.png

Work needs to still be done under the yellow bridge yet there is already a lot of water there, that might be a challenge to complete it. View attachment 537255
Look up a few pages and you will see them working on the area immediately on the lake-side of the 'plug' - though it looks complicated, they seem very able to work below water when placing rocks and cutting metal..

Back