There was quite a difference even between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm today (let's see if this animated GIF works...)

ezgif-5-3765c2174e.gif

Keep an eye on the north side of the bridge too.

20240202_164835.jpg

You are correct and those were not the best analogues. I have been very impressed with the scale of this project and I keep thinking of how to categorize it if that can be done at this stage. An extension of the ravine system? Comparable to the building of St. Lawrence or Don Mills? I see this as an example of the same forces that are creating Paper Island and HafenCity which our little grumpy burgh is lucky enough to be experiencing on a large scale.

No real attempt at anything like Elbphilharmonie yet.

AoD

River flows END TO END this morning.

It's amazing.

Video and pictures to follow shortly.

Totally, not Lower Don Lands content, but if you will indulge me in this one post.... thanks to Kotsy I applied to for an 'unlock' to shoot downtown, and took these at sunrise!

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 9.26.00 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 12.17.21 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 7.14.32 PM.jpg

Last edited:
River flows END TO END this morning. It's amazing. Video and pictures to follow shortly.

Totally, not Lower Don Lands related, but thanks to Kotsy I applied to for an 'unlock' to shoot downtown and took this at sunrise!

View attachment 537683

Drone is life!

:D

Beautiful! I've been droneless for about 6 months but will be picking up the mini 4 soon. Can't wait to go flying again!

...and I tend to drone on in conversation alot..but that's a different thing altogether! >.<

I'm surprised they didn't wait to fill the river until everything was finished up to the plug. I suspect that either they want to soak the area before spring for the sake of the plantings or there was a concern about a breach. Otherwise I don't understand the timing.

I'm surprised they didn't wait to fill the river until everything was finished up to the plug. I suspect that either they want to soak the area before spring for the sake of the plantings or there was a concern about a breach. Otherwise I don't understand the timing.
WT explained all this some weeks ago and, as you surmise, one reason was to ensure the planting had time to get acclimated (and were getting wet) before it becomes a real river. The other reason to fill it is because they do not want a sudden rush of water coming in in from the Lake and will bring the 'new river' up to lake level, then remove that plug - I think they plan to do this in spring 2024 - i.e. in next couple of months. Then, in fall 2024 they will open the north plug @ Villiers.

See updates from https://twitter.com/therockripper?lang=en This was yesterday....

1706986044580.png

Last edited:
...getting up over the waders of my hypothetical female giraffe. (Humans would have to start treading at this point.)

Back