Blech.

"Enriching Play Opportunities"??? Haha.

Hate how everything fun for kids these days has to be positioned as "making them smarter."

JUST HAVE FUN!!

I don't disagree, but to play devil's advocate, isn't fun enriching?

Also, based on the earlier renders, the play park looks like it's not going to be "just fun" but "lots of fun".

JUST HAVE FUN!!
That's exactly what the new park is about. The wording from the WT blog post sounds like it is pushing back on the age-old (and outdated) belief that children can only learn in a supervised classroom environment, be given homework assignments, and progress through rote and repetition. That was certainly how education was dispensed when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s.

Photos taken Saturday (Feb. 10).

UTIMG_2535.jpg
UTIMG_2632.jpg
UTIMG_2725.jpg
UTIMG_2559.jpg
UTIMG_2613.jpg
UTIMG_2550.jpg
UTIMG_2539.jpg
UTIMG_2650.jpg
UTIMG_2688.jpg
UTIMG_2674.jpg
UTIMG_2681.jpg
UTIMG_2592.jpg

I don't disagree, but to play devil's advocate, isn't fun enriching?

Also, based on the earlier renders, the play park looks like it's not going to be "just fun" but "lots of fun".
The weird things folks get uppity about...

My favourite memories of enriching play opportunities was the Ontario Science Centre. You know, having fun while learning. Didn't know this would become an issue in our internet edge lord haunted age. /sigh

My favourite memories of enriching play opportunities was the Ontario Science Centre.

I used to work at the Science Centre helping with the new displays and exhibits.

We'd track how many people use which exhibits and we learned something right away...

People always gravitated towards exhibits about THEMSELVES more than an exhibit about something else.

No matter how fantastical the something else was.

Here's an actual example...

We'd spend thousands of dollars on an exhibit about the power of black holes.

Then beside it we'd have a $30 scale we bought at Eaton's (which was around back then) that we'd tweaked and we put a sign over it that said, "HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH ON THE MOON."

100x more people lined up to stand on the scale then went over to the black hole exhibit.

That's why you still see all the silly mirrors, or how fast can you pedal to light up a light bulb, or can you squeeze this lever etc... exhibits from the 1960s if you go there today.

Last edited:
Is there any info on what the future streetcar route through villiers island will look like?

Also besides the transit bridge at cherry street north, is there more of the island that has been saved/unpaved for the future line or are they planning to rip it out when the streetcar line gets funded?

Is there any info on what the future streetcar route through villiers island will look like?

Also besides the transit bridge at cherry street north, is there more of the island that has been saved/unpaved for the future line or are they planning to rip it out when the streetcar line gets funded?
You can find out all this at https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/our-projects/waterfront-east-lrt AND https://www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/projects-and-plans/Major-Projects/Waterfront-East-LRT

Though I think the only part of that which will be completed in any foreseeable (though not yet knowable) time frame is the QQE to Cherry. A streetcar into Villiers Island is probably decades away.

Though I think the only part of that which will be completed in any foreseeable (though not yet knowable) time frame is the QQE to Cherry. A streetcar into Villiers Island is probably decades away.
It is probably cheaper to bring the QQE line to Villiers than end it at Cherry and build a loop there. as there are no tunnel constraints and it's all surface track. Linking to the Cherry tracks is very complicated and expensive as it involvesa new link below the rail berm.

The two problem (ie expensive) areas are at the Union Station tunnel entrance @ Bay. The huge expense is the link from QQE to Union and expanding the Union loop but THAT is probably the most desirable thing to get done and is probably a far higher priority than linking at Cherry.

Just drove pas the fire hall an hour ago, wanted to show my wife how profoundly the area has changed - she was wondering what's to become of the fire hall. Many of the old buildings she once worked in as a scenic painter have been razed and she was marveling at the transition. Overall, she was very excited. Can't wait to see it in the summer, with plantings in... I think it's going to make a huge change in how many Torontonians see and access the waterfront. Very happy to see this development, especially considering all of the negative news this city has generated - horrible traffic, horrendously expensive rent and real estate... this is a true bright spot.

Back