No, but could Mx not be involved with the Cambridge extension? Or at least push them towards Presto and their preferred nomenclature? Just talking out loud really.
How about 417 for Ottawa??

I suspect if they're designating it "Line 10 Hazel McCallion" based on HWY 10, Hamilton will probably be Line 8. The big question now is where 7 and 9 will fit in.

I not sure they'd do that in Hamilton. In Mississauga, we all know the real reason for it...

TenRestaurant.png

Flowers_On_Ten_Mississauga.JPG

Last edited:
If Hamilton got numbered, would it make sense to do the same with ION in the Waterloo Region? Hard call.
The way I see it, any kind of local rapid transit connected to or running near the GO network should be consistently identified with the same kind of numbering system and wayfinding standards.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but they could number all of these lines with a letter preface. Thus this line could just be line M1.
In Hamilton they could use the H preface and naturally Toronto, T.

It presents issues with cross municipal boundary naming but it simplifies things when further expansion happens

Are they going to have to renumber MiWay route 10? And if this line numbering scheme is supposed to compliment the TTC line numbers, what about TTC route 10?

Are they going to have to renumber MiWay route 10? And if this line numbering scheme is supposed to compliment the TTC line numbers, what about TTC route 10?
MiWay will likely go ahead and rename their route 10, but as for the TTC I can guarantee that they dont have any plans to rename the 10 Van Horne at the moment. This is something that Metrolinx overlooked just like they did when they came up with their Eglinton Station name fiasco, so now there's going to be 3 Eglinton stations in the GTA.

No, but could Mx not be involved with the Cambridge extension? Or at least push them towards Presto and their preferred nomenclature? Just talking out loud really.

When Waterloo Region was first switching to cards from paper tickets Presto didn't want to work with the Region so ultimately the Region ended up picking EasyGo, even though Presto was the preference. The entire implementation of EasyGo was a fiasco, machines would randomly stop working, the software was janky, the card readers would act up, but now that's all fixed and I doubt the Region would want to go through all of that pain again.

Certainly Mx could be involved with the Cambridge extension, there is discussion about this happening elsewhere, and the general consensus seems to be that the Region has a chip on their should as the province reneged the Region for Phase 1. For Phase 1 the province originally was going to cover 2/3 of the cost with the feds covering 1/3. However the province then said 300 million (roughly 1/3) so the Region then had to pay for that 1/3. Not to mention the Region pushing for 2WAD GO for years and even Hwy 7 to Guelph. The business case hasn't even started for Phase 2 yet so anything within the next two years for anything related to the Cambridge extension is purely speculation, It would be further along if the Cambridge mayor stopped causing problems but that's an entirely different discussion.

The Region's entire transit network is numbered in a way that putting Mx nomenclature would through everything off especially with the LRT. Currently 0-99 is for local bus routes, various numbers are missing or have been removed, for example route 2 no longer exists as the Region got ride of it an replaced it with route 35, everything in the 200-299 range is for express routes (201-206 are currently used and 200 is retired as the LRT and aBRT replaced it), then the 300-399 is for the LRT or anything with the ION brand, 301 is the LRT route currently, 301R denotes replacement shuttle stops, 302 denotes the ION bus that follows roughly along the phase 2 alignment.

MiWay will likely go ahead and rename their route 10, but as for the TTC I can guarantee that they dont have any plans to rename the 10 Van Horne at the moment. This is something that Metrolinx overlooked just like they did when they came up with their Eglinton Station name fiasco, so now there's going to be 3 Eglinton stations in the GTA.

And two Mount Pleasants...

Back