Nice work on the sign, I was particularly excited to see that. Will there be any walkways installed to connect the two silos?

The openings remind me of the windows at OCAD, maybe they can get a similar treatment with a different colour frame around each one. Since they’re the tenant it could be interesting.

Last edited:
Nice work on the sign, I was particularly excited to see that. Will there be any walkways installed to connect the two silos?

The openings remind me of the windows at OCAD, maybe they can get a similar treatment with a different colour frame around each one. Since they’re the tenant it could be interesting.
Thanks, our team is really pleased with the sign results.

Yes, we’ve already installed a short catwalk up top to connect the two rooftops, since the north silo’s ‘head house’ relies on the south silo’s interior stair for access. See attached photo. You’ll start to see this new connection from grade as early as next week as scaffolding removal continues.

And the restored east facade signage should also be visible by this Friday. Am curious to see from how far east the new signage will be legible. The malting silos and Atlas crane are each visible from the other, and will provide great heritage bookends to the harbour.

Note that OCAD is presently exploring feasibility of the north silo ground floor for their tenancy, so the new plywood panels will stay as is for now. We have rebuilt every single one of those window sills and openings in order to help enable a future prospective fit-out of the rooftop. Truly amazing potential up there that we will turn our attention to in due course. So the panels are there as an interim measure to protect that restoration work, and to keep the elements and birds out. Per our Conservation Plan, we’ve also stored the original window frames inside to provide a template for any/all permanent glazing replacement in the future.

IMG_5530.jpeg

...no more convenient blue screens for Nuit Blanche though. >.<

Loving this project Bowen!! Also excited for the uplighting on the south silos.

Any plans to light the north facing part of the north silos so that view terminus down Portland Street would be lit at night??
Take a bow, @bgobgo .

After a feasibility review, we've just issued a change order to include one additional spotlight on this north elevation of the north silo. This was a great suggestion and we thank you for it.

So now when you see the north silo illuminated from Queen and Portland, you can say that's your light!

Take a bow, @bgobgo .

After a feasibility review, we've just issued a change order to include one additional spotlight on this north elevation of the north silo. This was a great suggestion and we thank you for it.

So now when you see the north silo illuminated from Queen and Portland, you can say that's your light!
You are by far the best customer side contributor on UT in my opinion. We need a Bowen on every project. No politics, no BS, no CYA, great updates, pictures, facts, etc. Maybe others will take note. Thanks for your time and sharing. Much appreciated.

You are by far the best customer side contributor on UT in my opinion. We need a Bowen on every project. No politics, no BS, no CYA, great updates, pictures, facts, etc. Maybe others will take note. Thanks for your time and sharing. Much appreciated.
Also great that @bowen listens to, responds to and actually acts on suggestions! Something that is VERY uncommon with City project managers!!! Thank you!

Also great that @bowen listens to, responds to and actually acts on suggestions! Something that is VERY uncommon with City project managers!!! Thank you!

This ^^^

@bowen is a tremendous asset to the City and a great contributor here at UT!

Take a bow, @bgobgo .

You made my month Mr Bowen. I want to run through a wall for you. :)

Thank you.

Last edited:
@AlexBozikovic - I think you should do a feature on City of Toronto Program Manager Bowen and his commitment to listening to the people.

I know you’ve had issues with not enough public engagement both for public and private developments and perhaps he can be an example of a success story? Just a thought.

@AlexBozikovic - I think you should do a feature on City of Toronto Program Manager Bowen and his commitment to listening to the people.

I know you’ve had issues with not enough public engagement both for public and private developments and perhaps he can be an example of a success story? Just a thought.
I'm not sure that a lack of engagement is a problem, but this project is wonderful and I will get to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back