Since Metrolinx did the expropriations, I don't expect that any city policies on limiting heights would stand for the 2 properties. When they eventually dispose of what is surplus they'll likely promise the buyer whatever density they want and as @UtakataNoAnnex notes, deliver it with an MZO.

A new subway line and a streetcar line, and only 15-17 stories? This is a joke. Wasted opportunity, these people don’t think ahead into the future. This should be at the very least 30 floors. Where else would high density make sense in this city? Smh

I'd be fine with towers in the 25-storey range, but I'd be hesitant to build higher than that. Queen West is an iconic commercial stretch (arguably our most iconic) and is worthy of guidelines regarding building scale and massing.

I'd be fine with towers in the 25-storey range, but I'd be hesitant to build higher than that. Queen West is an iconic commercial stretch (arguably our most iconic) and is worthy of guidelines regarding building scale and massing.
The character of Queen west isn't defined by the height of the buildings. The redeeming features include the scale of the pedestrian experience, and relatively small retail bays in older buildings that enabled a high density of affordable leases for small businesses.

I agree that Queen West is an iconic commercial stretch, and worthy careful consideration with development - but I also think it should be better than it currently is.

The frontage on this corner has been cleared for a $17B+ transit line regardless, there's zero excuse for not building more housing on top. Additionally, the fact that the sidewalks are so small while there's 2 lanes of parking is abhorrent.

NE corner building - The issue with a height above 15 storeys is said to be the presence of Ogden elementary school which is NE of the site. Shadows on the playground….

(I also agree that the sidewalks need to be widened, especially on the SW corner and brought it up at the Metrolinx consultation. Increasing the porosity (is that a word?) of the OL station entrances so they open onto Spadina as well as Queen would also help that - but apparently both a no-go.)

Back