La Plume is getting ready to open and should have a good effect on busyness at this important corner. Can’t wait for patio season on Wellington West! Taken 23 March.

IMG_9008.jpeg

IMG_9007.jpeg

Not an unfair assessment in my opinion. But it's early days and retail is naturally in flux.

The overall tone is complimentary w/the real knocks being that the retail is a bit too ordinary/upper-middle/un-original (ie, curation to deliver some small, independent, non-chain spaces would have been nice.); and that there is no affordable housing component.

On the former, 100% fair, in that, such curation almost always drives higher traffic/footfall and that in turn means the remaining predictable chain stores pay more in rent, making up for any breaks given to start-ups/indys.

On the latter, I certainly support more affordable housing, but if there's neither a statutory obligation to provide it, nor a government inducement, it would seem unlikely that most developers would unilaterally offer such a thing. (be nice if they did though)

The overall tone is complimentary w/the real knocks being that the retail is a bit too ordinary/upper-middle/un-original (ie, curation to deliver some small, independent, non-chain spaces would have been nice.); and that there is no affordable housing component.

On the former, 100% fair, in that, such curation almost always drives higher traffic/footfall and that in turn means the remaining predictable chain stores pay more in rent, making up for any breaks given to start-ups/indys.

On the latter, I certainly support more affordable housing, but if there's neither a statutory obligation to provide it, nor a government inducement, it would seem unlikely that most developers would unilaterally offer such a thing. (be nice if they did though)
Groovy is a indie shop.

The author is identifying that as being missing from The Well.
I'm not saying these sorts of places don't exist at all, but that cheap coffee is now essentially the sole purview of Tim's and McDonalds, is my point. Recall my story from last year about $14+ for two coffees at De Mello here in The Well...

The erroneous romanticization of something that's just not a thing hurts the article's overall (correct) thesis about general corporate sterility here.

Last edited:
Gotta head out to the east end, most options at the Birchcliff are still under 5-6 bucks these days; regular coffee around 3 bucks. That's kind of how it goes though, prices decrease the farther away you are from the core. I imagine the rents at Kingston/Birchmount are a touch lower...

Back