Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This thread will be used for discussion of Royal York-Eglinton Station: a proposed below-grade TTC station on the Eglinton Crosstown (Line 5) West Extension, serving the intersection of Royal York Avenue and Eglinton Avenue West in Toronto's Royal York Gardens neighbourhood.

Royal_York_Final.jpg

Who knew a transit station would be built around the corner from my first home in Toronto, at 165 LaRose Avenue, where I lived back in 1987. It took me forever to get to work at Don Mills and Eglinton.
IBM's gone. Soon will be gone the Ontario Science Centre. No reason to go to Don Mills & Eglinton now, it seems.

Should name it "Humbervale Station". Better than "Royal York North Station".

etobicoke-map_2.gif
From link.
The station is technically in Richview according to that map but Richview also covers the Islington and Kipling stations.

This neighbourhood pocket is often referred to as Royal York Gardens but I was wondering if Humber Heights or Westmount (both on the east side of Royal York) would be used to name this station.

FYI. Doug Ford sold his old place near Kipling & Eglinton and moved into his late mother's house near Royal York Road, between Lawrence Avenue West and Eglinton Avenue West. He and his family had many of his "Ford Fest" BBQ's there.

Please don't name the Royal York & Eglinton station after him or his family. They already named a park after Doug's father, near that home.

Though they could just put up statues of the Ford family, in tribute.

20220630-rob-ford-statue.jpg

From link.

Last edited:
My money is on Humbervale or Westmount for this one, and I'd prefer Humbervale out of the two. Neither are particularly stand-out names but I like to see transit stops directly or indirectly named after natural features and landmarks rather than the road they service, even if it makes it a bit more confusing.

The station is technically in Richview according to that map but Richview also covers the Islington and Kipling stations.

This neighbourhood pocket is often referred to as Royal York Gardens but I was wondering if Humber Heights or Westmount (both on the east side of Royal York) would be used to name this station.
Am I missing something? The intersection of Royal York and Eglinton - all 4 corners - are clearly in the Humbervale area of that map.
The current Royal York Station is also exclusively in the North-east corner of Royal York and Boor, so it also wouldn't be in the Richview area of that map. Keep Royal York station as is, and change "Royal York North" to "Humbervale" "Humber Valley" or "Humber Heights".

Am I missing something? The intersection of Royal York and Eglinton - all 4 corners - are clearly in the Humbervale area of that map.
The current Royal York Station is also exclusively in the North-east corner of Royal York and Boor, so it also wouldn't be in the Richview area of that map. Keep Royal York station as is, and change "Royal York North" to "Humbervale" "Humber Valley" or "Humber Heights".
My apologies. I should have taken off my glasses and looked closer at that map.

Most of the maps I've seen extend Richview east to Royal York but I believe the above map more accurately depicts how the community views the area.

I agree that 'Royal York North' is an uninspired choice.

That map reflects OLD names for the the area. There is a Humbervale United Church up there, but AFAIK no-one calls that area Humbervale now, it's called Westmount mostly. Besides, there's a Humbervale Boulevard in Sunnylea, and. Humbervale Park Baptist Church in that area too, south of Bloor, so the name Humbervale would invite confusion.

From How TTC subway stations got their atypical names at this link.

St. Andrew

Faced with the problem of having two stations on the same street within a very short distance, the TTC opted to name the stations on University line after former city electoral wards. At the time of its abolition in 1901, St. Andrew's Ward was bound by King and Queen in the north/south and Yonge and Dufferin streets in the east/west.

St Andrew’s Ward—An Overview​

Now that St Andrew’s Ward is completely transcribed, it is time for some statistics. The whole ward comprised 6,268 people and there were 1160 schedules filled in. On average, then, each household contained 5 or 6 people.​

St. Patrick

There was a time when the TTC seriously considered changing the name of St. Patrick to Art Gallery, in reference to the nearby AGO. The name in use today is a nod the former St. Patrick's Ward, a division of the city bound by Bloor, Bathurst, University, and Queen. The mint green platform tile is a reference to St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.
1874HartRawlinsonCompiled.jpg

From link.
page1-1164px-Toronto_Provincial_Ridings_1926a.pdf.jpg

From link.

St. George Station was named after St. George Street, not the ward.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbt
Maybe not Humbervale, but Humber Valley (which I presume is where the name Humber-vale comes from, or vice versa) continues to be used for this area quite regularly (for Everything South of Eglinton anyway, maybe not North of it). I know this area well (south of Eglinton) and never heard it referred to as Westmount. Mostly just Humber Valley or Humber Heights.

250px-Humber_Valley_Village_map.png

Maybe not Humbervale, but Humber Valley (which I presume is where the name Humber-vale comes from, or vice versa) continues to be used for this area quite regularly (for Everything South of Eglinton anyway, maybe not North of it). I know this area well (south of Eglinton) and never heard it referred to as Westmount. Mostly just Humber Valley or Humber Heights.

250px-Humber_Valley_Village_map.png
Westmount only for part of the area north of Eglinton, not south. Humber Heights does get kicked around up there too, yup.

Back