I love the idea of this building becoming a cultural/event centre! And the first exhibit should be a retrospective of Burtynsky’s work including the amazing whale sculpture that he is creating for Kingston. Taken 25 March.

IMG_9109.jpeg

IMG_6121.jpeg

Image from
I don’t recall the McCleary District. I had to look to see where that was.

Thanks! But 2031 occupancy can’t be correct. Is there a chance that this date is full buildout? I’m not doubting you but the area is getting ready to start applications for individual projects (the one on Old Cherry.)

More like 2074 for occupancy of anything if that, the way they're going on about it. >.<

This may be wrong, but it was my understanding that a local population of 20,000-25,000 is needed to sustain a grocery store. That should be a goal of Villiers here IMO. 8500-9000 units seems like it may not make this threshold.
9,000 units at what- 1.5 per unit = 13,500? Maybe they get a RABBA and pointed towards the pedestrian bridge to Queen's Quay?

Was also just thinking about how they have a plan for three non-profit day cares and a school - all this time I was envisioning traffic issues as residents try to come and go at rush hour with Lake Shore jammed up. I never considered the influx of parents who'd be driving in to pick up their kids. I suppose by 2031 we'll have hover-streetcars and transportation tho- so it's sorted :)

Don't think I heard anything in this meeting about the new density making (the soon to be renamed) Villiers Island a priority. We've got 7 years to get a streetcar up New Cherry, and QQE figured out I guess. Maybe there will be a shuttle to East Harbour (which barely got a mention in this meeting btw) while they figure out an Eastern route.

This may be wrong, but it was my understanding that a local population of 20,000-25,000 is needed to sustain a grocery store. That should be a goal of Villiers here IMO. 8500-9000 units seems like it may not make this threshold.
Is that a large Loblaws type of grocery store? What about the smaller format ones like Leo’s?

A little nostalgic for that old Cherry Street bridge but the new one is a spectacular addition to the area.

Back