emphurent

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
The growth policy in Kitchener seems to be drumming up a lot change compared to other cities. With recent changes to push for more inclusionary zoning discussed by council, lobbying efforts from both sides on the matter were published to view, including unannounced proposals.

This one is one of the largest, and comes with renders, though I will say from my perspective, this one is a ways out (for many logistical reasons) if it ever was to happen. The large parking lots around this area seem like far better options for near term development.

The current block is pictured below.

1711522189037.png

Renders depict two 50 storey towers, more information can be found in the link above:

1711520837517.png

1711520879869.png

The growth policy in Kitchener seems to be drumming up a lot change compared to other cities. With recent changes to push for more inclusionary zoning discussed by council, lobbying efforts from both sides on the matter were published to view, including unannounced proposals.

This one is one of the largest, and comes with renders, though I will say from my perspective, this one is a ways out (for many logistical reasons) if it ever was to happen. The large parking lots around this area seem like far better options for near term development.

The current block is pictured below.

View attachment 551474

Renders depict two 50 storey towers, more information can be found in the link above:

View attachment 551471

View attachment 551472

You beat me too it, I was going through all the docs last night and was planning on making threads for some of the projects that seem to be furthest along.

Like you mention it's certainly a project thats way out, but considering everything planned around here it certainly fits. However considering who's behind it is just a nobody developer the plans are definitely going to change before we see any kind if site plan application.

I will also note that one of the towers is 55 floors and the other is 50. With a 6-8 floor podium.

In two words: Ugly and Overbearing.

I can't get too out of joint over the towers......but the podium is absurd, it should be slashed to 4s max, maybe 3.

The podium also needs to make use of brick, it need not be traditional architecture, but it must be warm rather than this dystopian, soulless, Blade Runner aesthetic. Ugh.

Also, we're at the renders stage, the blue-sky stage as it were, and still I don't see street trees! Absolutely not!

In two words: Ugly and Overbearing.

I can't get too out of joint over the towers......but the podium is absurd, it should be slashed to 4s max, maybe 3.

The podium also needs to make use of brick, it need not be traditional architecture, but it must be warm rather than this dystopian, soulless, Blade Runner aesthetic. Ugh.

Also, we're at the renders stage, the blue-sky stage as it were, and still I don't see street trees! Absolutely not!
I don't completely agree. I actually don't think three storey podiums look very good with taller towers. I find they look a lot like when facades in Toronto are saved with a huge tower jutting out of the roof. The design feels like it crushes the ground floors. With larger towers like this, I personally think 4 storey podium is the minimum, with 6 storeys looking better.

I think biggest issue with the podium is that it's overly complex. I'd suggest to the architect simplifying the podium. With real brick, this could look really nice if they remove the white sections, or alternatively have the brick portion continue to the top of the podium, and the white section also continue up, similar to how the Mirvish Village design where it appears as separate "buildings".

I don't completely agree. I actually don't think three storey podiums look very good with taller towers. I find they look a lot like when facades in Toronto are saved with a huge tower jutting out of the roof. The design feels like it crushes the ground floors. With larger towers like this, I personally think 4 storey podium is the minimum, with 6 storeys looking better.

We can all differ in perspective.

However, the podium height, in general, should be relative to the width of the street.

This is important for a sense of scale and proportion, and also for shadowing.

A 6s street wall here, completely eliminates sunlight from the side on which the building is located.

The key to making the tower over the top not seem overwhelming is the setback.

We can all differ in perspective.

However, the podium height, in general, should be relative to the width of the street.

This is important for a sense of scale and proportion, and also for shadowing.

A 6s street wall here, completely eliminates sunlight from the side on which the building is located.

The key to making the tower over the top not seem overwhelming is the setback.
That's definitely fine! I love disagreement to be honest. People are far too afraid to not agree.

I will say that I don't completely agree that 6 storeys would feel overbearing. I do think a lot of stuff in Toronto for example prior to podium model does feel overbearing because it is like 50 storeys with zero set back and it can get really dark and windy.

I will note two reasons I think 6 storey podium here is fine:

1) There are various 5-6 storey buildings right across the street or down the street, where there is no tower, and so I don't agree that the podium height alone here is the issue, see the below photo:
1000005257.png

2) This proposal is on the North side of the street, so it wouldn't cast a shadow on King St except perhaps the very early morning. Most of its shadowing impacts will be on what is currently a parking lot to the north and a small neighbourhood area to the north that is mostly businesses.

That's definitely fine! I love disagreement to be honest. People are far too afraid to not agree.

I will say that I don't completely agree that 6 storeys would feel overbearing. I do think a lot of stuff in Toronto for example prior to podium model does feel overbearing because it is like 50 storeys with zero set back and it can get really dark and windy.

I will note two reasons I think 6 storey podium here is fine:

1) There are various 5-6 storey buildings right across the street or down the street, where there is no tower, and so I don't agree that the podium height alone here is the issue, see the below photo:
View attachment 551547
2) This proposal is on the North side of the street, so it wouldn't cast a shadow on King St except perhaps the very early morning. Most of its shadowing impacts will be on what is currently a parking lot to the north and a small neighbourhood area to the north that is mostly businesses.

There is a case to be made; but the example you give strikes me as a problem. One side has no retail, the other has.....no good retail, and neither has any trees.

I like the old-style industrial architecture on the left, but here, its not organized or modified to support retail. The scale on the right is 5s, and has an overhang, which I always dislike, I don't think it represents good architecture in terms of massing.

Back