From Monday:

IMG_9575.jpeg

IMG_9573.jpeg

I can say with 100% certain to you that you will not see any new runs open at blue. All of our mountain space we have on lease is tapped out we have temporary structures at the top of the hill for the summer but do to regulations with the escarment we cannot do anything up top when it comes to lodges has always been something. I have disliked skiing here

And with the way the climate is changing will anybody be skiing here in the next few decades?
Yeah if it weren't for the snow making up there they wouldn't even be open. Right now there is a mini putt course at the bottom of the main lift that they have to completely bury and snow. Every winter takes about 30 square meters worth of snow which takes the guns about 5 days of minus 15 temperatures

Climate warming in Southern Ontario is undoubtedly going to have an impact on skiing. You can see how quickly things are warming up with Canada's Plant Hardiness Zones maps, which show significantly increased warming around Georgian Bay (among other areas) between the 1990 and 2010 maps. The federal government is currently working on an update to the map, anticipated to be released this year, which I'm sure will show even more significant changes from the 2010 map. It should be no surprise to be seeing Blue Mountain doubling down on the all-season offerings in the future. However, there are some innovations being made for outdoor skiing - our local hill here in London, Boler Mountain, recently installed Canada's only positive temperature snowmaking unit, which can produce snow at temperatures up to +17°C. I suspect we will be seeing this technology adopted by many other ski hills in Ontario in the near future.

PHZ1990.png

PHZ2010.png

I like that they went with a cottagey look rather than the usual generic box. It's rare to see the LCBO make an effort with architecture!

Back