Just curious, if they go through with demolition, would this be the tallest building demolished in Toronto's history so far? I do have a fascination with how very tall towers will be demolished when their time comes, even if it's long after I'm gone.

Just curious, if they go through with demolition, would this be the tallest building demolished in Toronto's history so far? I do have a fascination with how very tall towers will be demolished when their time comes, even if it's long after I'm gone.
I think so. And ironically the tallest building ever demolished in Toronto up to now was the tower on the site of the current First Canadian Place (BMO Tower), which was ... the old Toronto Star building.

toronto-star-building-1929-KE5TDT.jpg

Demolition is murky. All the buildings where the front facades were retained and incorporated in larger developments can be considered demolished. Same with the 104 metre Sutton Place Hotel where its structure was adaptively reused in a larger, taller development.

Toronto is so good at tearing down buildings, this would be a huge loss for the city if they demolish this, even if they reclad this and add new windows it would be a loss. Camrost-Felcorp already ruined the old Four Seasons hotel up at Avenue and Bloor. We don't have many 70's beauties and they're wiping them away. Shame

Last edited:
I imagine those who bought a high floor unit with a lake view at a premium in their current buildings would be a little concerned this morning.

Edit: For current buildings I'm referring to currently built phase 1 and under construction phase 2 condo buildings.

Last edited:
I imagine those who bought a high floor unit with a lake view at a premium in their current buildings would be a little concerned this morning.
Did they sell the top 10 floors? Was that always the plan? Picture from last night. The first light I have seen in months on the top floor.

Are they waiting for the market to turn around? I wonder what the sales numbers are for The Skytower. Assuming no rush for phase 3 and phase 4 and 5 in this market.
IMG_6526.jpeg

I am not enthused about the prospect of potentially mediocre skyscrapers fronting QQ when there's large potential for an exciting open space there at the foot of Yonge street, nor am I happy about the removal of office space from this neighbourhood. However, I am much happier seeing this building gone than having them retrofit it in the way the way planning to do it, which was frankly horrid, tacky, and insulting to modernist architecture.

I think I was more upset the last time they demolished the Toronto Star Building. It really hadn't been in existence that long and was an art deco classic.
I wonder if there's a trademark on demolished buildings. If not, some developer should recreate the old Toronto Star building and build a condo using the design (maybe extend it upwards). On second thought, maybe not ...limestone/terracotta is too high-end for Toronto, they'd probably replace them with spandrels and window wall glazing.

Back