^don't know if you've heard of the Hawrelak Park amphitheatre?
You're thinking small. The amphitheatre at Hawrelak Park is a nice tent but it doesn't have the scale to establish the city as a center for live outdoor performances. You have Rogers. the Art Gallery of Alberta, Royal Alberta Museum, Citadel, Winspear, and Commonweath Stadium. Those are all venues that can compete for attendees and generate economic activity for the city. Most of them cann't compete on the world stage but they are venues that can hold their own against the venues in similar sized cities. The Hawrelak amphitheatre? Yea, it's a nice but that's all. It's not going to get the city anywhere.

So what is Edmonton going to do with the money that it gets from the Province to even things up with Calgary for the infrastructure money that Calgary got to build its new arena. A Vancouver class ampitheatre wouldn't be bad. Hopefully Edmonton will do something more than knock down Northlands Coliseum and fix the pot holes in the north bound left hand lane on 156 Street between Stoney Plain Road and the Yellowhead Trail.

OH? I didn't know this project was to establish the city as a center for live outdoor performance. No one is asking for this except you, sir or madam. Just how far out of towner are you? Not debating apples and oranges with you. May I suggest you begin your own thread on the topic of the city's need for a new amphitheatre.

Last edited:
Oh ok buildings. I didn't know that you were the content moderator of this thread. Does your suggestion apply to everybody or just me?

Last edited:
You're thinking small. The amphitheatre at Hawrelak Park is a nice tent but it doesn't have the scale to establish the city as a center for live outdoor performances. You have Rogers. the Art Gallery of Alberta, Royal Alberta Museum, Citadel, Winspear, and Commonweath Stadium. Those are all venues that can compete for attendees and generate economic activity for the city. Most of them cann't compete on the world stage but they are venues that can hold their own against the venues in similar sized cities. The Hawrelak amphitheatre? Yea, it's a nice but that's all. It's not going to get the city anywhere.

So what is Edmonton going to do with the money that it gets from the Province to even things up with Calgary for the infrastructure money that Calgary got to build its new arena. A Vancouver class ampitheatre wouldn't be bad. Hopefully Edmonton will do something more than knock down Northlands Coliseum and fix the pot holes in the north bound left hand lane on 156 Street between Stoney Plain Road and the Yellowhead Trail.
Nothing against the existing small amphitheatre at Hawrelak park or the park itself. Although I have lived here many years, I haven't been to that amphitheatre for any performance and while it is not impossible to get to, it is not as accessible or located close to a number of other nearby sites and amenities as the one proposed.

If you were coming from out of town and staying in a nearby downtown hotel, it would be an easy walk to something in this proposed location, or also an easy ride by LRT. So as an idea this makes good sense and if the province is ready and willing to pay for it, even better.

Nothing against the existing small amphitheatre at Hawrelak park or the park itself. Although I have lived here many years, I haven't been to that amphitheatre for any performance and while it is not impossible to get to, it is not as accessible or located close to a number of other nearby sites and amenities as the one proposed.

If you were coming from out of town and staying in a nearby downtown hotel, it would be an easy walk to something in this proposed location, or also an easy ride by LRT. So as an idea this makes good sense and if the province is ready and willing to pay for it, even better.
It's a little difficult to appraise the economic viability of an amphitheatre without the benefit of a cost / benefit study but the capital cost might be in the neighborhood of what the Province is willing to pony up. In general, Edmonton has done a fairly decent job of moving with the trend towards a walkable city and an ampitheatre would be a good complimentary piece to advance in that direction imo.

Back