Well there was supposed to be one built in the area of the arena but it appears to have died on the vine.

Speaking of hotels, I remain bewildered that there is only one hotel with a 1 km radius of the U of A.

Alas back to you, Milner conversion....

Speaking of hotels, I remain bewildered that there is only one hotel with a 1 km radius of the U of A.

Alas back to you, Milner conversion....
Yes, not just the lack of many new hotels downtown that is bewildering, but close to the U of A and 124 Street also. On a somewhat related note, the Milner building is close to a LRT station and is a short ride to the U of A.

I think the question we need to ask is the purpose the hotels are used for. Downtown hotels like the Marriott have conference facilities, or they’re near the Convention Centre. Others like the Sandman are either in proximity to Calgary Trail or West Edmonton Mall, attractive for family tourism or visitors for hockey tournaments.

I’m sure there could be a market for some locations.

Calgary has added about 10 new hotels in the last 10-15yrs... you would think Edmonton could add more than 1 or 2.
While I don't expect the same number here the extreme disparity is striking. And its not like there was a big hotel building boom here just before that period either.

Most of the hotels downtown here are from the 1970's or 1980's. So the period of not much new being added is more like 40 years.

I think Edmonton has tried, in the past decade or so. The Hyatt was built at 96 Street, only to see it falter.
The old Enbridge Tower has also stagnated.

Regina catching strays
Which is kind of funny because anyone who has been to Regina recently would know that it has a nice downtown. The mall actually has street-fronting national brand shops, a well-kept central park and a mid-week Farmers' market. Edmonton could learn a thing or two...

There you go again comparing dick size.
Ok!

The existing hotel stock in Downtown Edmonton is pretty average at best and while the JW has been a blessing, along with some major upgrades, its unfortunate that another 4 star and 1-2 x 3 star hotel properties have not been added to provide more modern/updated options and drive some additional street life.

Edmonton is planning the Central Park at 106 Street. Also, the weekend Farmer’s Market is popular.

Ok!

The existing hotel stock in Downtown Edmonton is pretty average at best and while the JW has been a blessing, along with some major upgrades, its unfortunate that another 4 star and 1-2 x 3 star hotel properties have not been added to provide more modern/updated options and drive some additional street life.
Yes, the JW is really the only new hotel major downtown here in many decades. Everything else here is from the early 1980's or even older.

IMO, The Peaks could have been a great hotel, but unfortunately that didn't happen. However, there are still several other buildings around in decent locations that could be repurposed and several empty lots that could be built on.

Back