just my opinion but nothing I've seen to date at Blatchford holds a candle to what Gene Dub is building up by the Camsell. Very uninspired and dated looking.

just my opinion but nothing I've seen to date at Blatchford holds a candle to what Gene Dub is building up by the Camsell. Very uninspired and dated looking.
Sure but at least most of us will still be alive to actulaly live in a Blatchford unit, unlike the units at the Camsell. They may be done in 50 years at this point lol

Former City Centre Airport:

View attachment 83675 View attachment 83676

Removal of runways after closure:

View attachment 83679

Current state after remediation:

View attachment 83677
View attachment 83678
So, I've officially moved in. It's an interesting experience because of all of the memories I have of the place as an airport. Given that my first word that I spoke was apparently "airplane", my dad used to bring me to the parking lot by the terminal or the observation area at the end of Runway 30 (something which probably wouldn't fly in the current security environment) and we'd watch planes come and go. Or sometimes we'd pick him up there when he had to fly for travel. I also went through a phase in my teens where I was learning to fly and would occasionally take instruction flights from the Edmonton Flying Club (the approach on 30 over downtown and the Royal Alex was an interesting one).

It is a bit cursory and construction is constant. The local tire repair businesses do a brisk business from all of the nails that end up in tires. I'd been wary of it back in February when we were looking at houses, but we ended up thinking that it was hard to go wrong in a densely zoned neighbourhood near a post-secondary and that whatever turned out would be interesting in the end. The house is good, though some aspects of dealing with the builder have been a bit of a chore. Our yard just received topsoil, which is a few centimetres above an extremely clayey rough grade (this is the kind of thing that's going to make the ambitions of treeing this neighbourhood a bit of work). But, things seem to get better every day, and there's a great sense of community here. Despite the small population (so far), things are actually kind of vibrant. Bike connections need work, but are better than I feared. Metro Line is also better than I'd originally anticipated, especially now that accessing it is less of an amphibious experience after a rain. It really fills a niche that was not well-covered before.
P7010310.JPG

IMG_0718.jpeg
IMG_0785.jpeg

Took a spin through Blatchford in the middle of the night and drove past Energy Centre One. There was a sign saying the road was closed, but it wasn’t barricaded, so I may or may not have driven there. Looks like even though the road might not technically be open, there’s paving completed along the LRT, and it’s now possible to drive directly between NAIT and the existing Blatchford development. The road network taking shape and opening up connections will make the neighborhood much more attractive

Back