News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

probably deicing fluid from mississauga international airport.

LMAO!

I also read the same Sun issue, in the lunch room at work since its the only paper available. After reading that letter, I thought about posting it on SCC and completely forgot about it after lunch.

Im glad someone else pointed it out. Exaggeration at its finest I guess.

Does Mississauga International Airport offer direct flights to Toronto?

Toronto is more dangerous than Detroit and Detroit (along with Washington D.C.) is more dangerous than Iraq according to right wing politicians and faux news types in the U.S.

I'm suggesting that our letter writer move to Basra if he doesn't feel safe here.

Little does he know, that Hazel and Co just spent millions renovating the Mayor's and Councillors offices. Looks great, however doesn't respect the original vision of the building.

That is interesting. Note that there's nothing about this mentioned at all, while Miller's getting a bashing over this. Maybe its some councillor or another being kicked out who's pushing this. And Mr. Hackett's ignorance is something else - not even realizing that Mississauga's did the same thing. That's the cheap, ignorant boosterism I hate the most.

how can detroit be dangerous with all that farmland? ;)

Try reading the comments posted on the globe and mail website. They really make you question your faith in humanity.

You mean the good stuff about humanity?

It was Einstein who said something along the lines that there are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and he wasn't too sure about the former.

You know a letter is stupid when it forces even the Toronto Sun to defend David Miller.

Try reading the comments posted on the globe and mail website. They really make you question your faith in humanity.
Yahoo News has quietly removed the comments section from their articles for the same "questions your faith in humanity" reasons. It seems a few hundred people were stonewalling all dialogue and making Yahoo readers look like a bunch of right-wing racist/homophobic idealogues. I'm sure the situation at the G&M is likely similar.

As for the City Hall controversy...it's such a typical Toronto story, isn't it? Six million isn't a huge amount by any means for the fifth largest government in Canada, yet Miller let the Toronto Sun make him blink.

Give it to Hazel

How does the Toronto Mayor/CEO/King get a figure of $400 million when these taxes aren't even collected yet? The federal government says it is reducing GST to 6% and then 5% to ease the tax burden. How can they keep this promise and still give away all that money to a city that has proven it is fiscally challenged, without first making sure of the expenditures, or having control of where the money is spent? Cash that can be spent with no strings attached seems like a foolish thing to do when it comes to Toronto City Hall. If city council would agree to an overseer to guide the money, I might agree. If they won't, and the money is actually available, then give it to Hazel McCallion in Mississauga so it will be used wisely. By the way, councillors, you might want to take junkets to Mississauga instead of London, Paris... you might just learn something.

Gerry Daniels
Ajax

-----------------------------

Can you spare a per cent?

"It's NOT a bailout, it's NOT a handout, it's OUR money," Mayor Miller said. Exactly! Every panhandler thinks the spare change in your pockets is rightfully theirs too.

Bob Manders
Toronto

(The mayor is a squeegee kid?)

My gawd. Why do people get the idea that Mississauga is the model for Toronto? Because Mississauga doesn't have to deal with the level of social and transportatation expenses Toronto has and has rode the development charge gravy train for years? Gives me the urge to strangle someone. An ignorant Sun-reading suburbanite to be precise.

Yeah. Used wisely. Like the Mississauga Busway. LOL!

Anyway, Hazel doesn't even want the one-cent sales tax share, unlike York Region and Brampton, who are joining Miller's bandwagon.

Anyway, Hazel doesn't even want the one-cent sales tax share, unlike York Region and Brampton, who are joining Miller's bandwagon.

What? Where do you get your info from? She was there supporting Miller along with all of the other GTA mayors... In fact, she took it a step further and asked the federal and provincial governments to take back responsibility for social services, which take up a good chunk of property tax revenue (the main source of income for cities)

Today's Star, smarty pants.

McCallion cool to penny plan

Mississauga mayor calls David Miller's GST pitch only a `Band-Aid' approach
Mar 01, 2007 04:30 AM
Phinjo Gombu
STAFF REPORTER

Mayor David Miller's one-cent rallying cry is getting lukewarm support from the second-largest city in the GTA.

Mississauga councillors argued the proposal to give Canada's municipalities one cent of the goods and services tax doesn't address their city's actual problem.

Brampton council, however, is set to launch its one-cent campaign and York Region's top politician supports Miller's plan.

While saying she would take the money, Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion said the real issue is easing the burden on the property tax system.

"Yes, we'll take the one cent," McCallion said during a meeting yesterday. "I can't say no ... But it doesn't solve the problem. It's a Band-Aid approach."

A real fix would be if the province took social, health and education costs off the back of the property-tax base, she said.

Mississauga Councillor Carolyn Parrish, a former MP, called Miller's campaign misguided. His real target should be Queen's Park, she said.

Municipal politicians have argued that funding social programs through property taxes is unfairly straining cities. They prefer such programs be funded with a revenue source that rises with the economy, such as income taxes.

Part of Miller's strategy seems to be to rally other cities and towns to press Ottawa for the funds. As Canada's most-populous city, Toronto arguably has the most to gain.

In Brampton, Mayor Susan Fennell, a strong supporter of the plan revealed Monday during the Toronto Summit 2007, convinced council yesterday to back the one-cent campaign. Councillors endorsed a plan to launch Brampton's own campaign in coming weeks to pressure federal politicians.

"This one cent left in our community will make the difference," Fennell said after distributing buttons from the Toronto launch to her colleagues.

She said it's important for a city like Brampton, whose problems and needs are often overshadowed by Toronto's, to stand publicly with the Ontario capital.

"We face the same challenges as Toronto," she said.

Support for Miller also came from York Region Chair Bill Fisch. He said "there was no question that both the province and the federal government had to get the message," that local governments desperately need more money for infrastructure.

Exactly where in the article does it say that Hazel does not want the one cent share of the GST?

Back