News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
FYI they are finally putting in a false ceiling and tiling for the 3rd floor food court as well - I could only hope there are plans for the exterior...

AoD

Ya, they are re-tiling every floor as far as I can tell. They've already done the concourse level, which is where they've started on the false ceiling.

This is great and promising news! I especially look forward to anything they can do to improve the exterior. A friend said Cineplex is moving the box office area, maybe upstairs? Not smart IMO if that's the case. I'm there Tues. to see Gravity in IMAX, looking forward to scoping the place out beforehand. I'm only ever in Future Shop and occasionally a film upstairs, I really try to avoid the place. Oh, and Chipotle, but that's right off Yonge Street.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I can't stand seeing movies there. The lobby is so disjointed, when you buy a movie ticket it feels more like you're at a TTC booth than in a movie theatre. It makes a lot of sense to move the box office upstairs where the theatres are.

hmm, a silly question, does drop down ceiling ever look good !? ... (i.e. the plastic looking panels ... you see in many smart centers ...) I actually think exposed concrete is much much better ! Or is the 'drop down ceiling' being used here different ?

Sounds like a good idea to me, I can't stand seeing movies there. The lobby is so disjointed, when you buy a movie ticket it feels more like you're at a TTC booth than in a movie theatre. It makes a lot of sense to move the box office upstairs where the theatres are.

But if your buying ahead of time to secure tickets for a screening on a busy evening (or buying reserved seats) one has to go up that maze of escalators and then back down again. I'm on the side that it's not such a good idea. The box office was good where it was - slide in, grab tix, get out.

This is great and promising news! I especially look forward to anything they can do to improve the exterior. A friend said Cineplex is moving the box office area, maybe upstairs? Not smart IMO if that's the case. I'm there Tues. to see Gravity in IMAX, looking forward to scoping the place out beforehand. I'm only ever in Future Shop and occasionally a film upstairs, I really try to avoid the place. Oh, and Chipotle, but that's right off Yonge Street.

They moved it earlier in the fall.

Bentall Realty out of Vancouver, I think.

Google : Cache
10 Dundas East is proudly managed by Bentall Kennedy. Bentall Kennedy is one of North America's largest real estate investment advisors and one of its

Not sure if "proudly managed" also means owned too, but Cadillac Fairview puts the same signs on the Eaton Centre, and own it outright as well.

Bentall owns very little actually. They are mostly a 3rd party investor/manager for a large group of institutional clients who own the buildings.

Prime example of their business model would be the twin buildings above St. Andrew's subway station on the north side of King....both managed/operated by Bentall and it is the Bentall signage that is prominent.....but there are a few hints (stickers low down on glass doors as an example) that the building is owned by bcIMC.

Is that building just to the east of 10 Dundas East going to be torn down? It would make a great place to put an additional hotel or "vertical mall" to complement the others in the area.

I may be wrong but weren't there rumours a while back that 10 Dundas East would get some kind of amusement attraction eventually? An indoor amusement park would do wonders for the building if there were any space to construct one inside.

10 Dundas East was meant to be an amusement/entertainment centre. It was supposed to have a funky bowling alley, as well as the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame but both eventually pulled out. A Disney store also pulled out as well. It's actually nothing like it was intended to be.

Wasn't the amusement area proposed to be on the roof?

10 Dundas East was meant to be an amusement/entertainment centre. It was supposed to have a funky bowling alley, as well as the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame but both eventually pulled out. A Disney store also pulled out as well. It's actually nothing like it was intended to be.

Not that I like what TLS / 10 Dundas East has become, but there is also an important 'process' discussion to be had here. In the conceptual phase, buildings can become anything their architects desire and when these preliminary ideas accidentally become public, often they are suddenly expected in the final, value engineered result. Having lived through this particular project's conception and birth on an earlier iteration of this forum, I can state that this wasn't the case here - far more was essentially promised than was delivered upon, but it's important to remember that there is a difference between that which people can dream and what the market can deliver.

(All that said, the idea that a building of this nature / potential scale is only 10s is absurd [should be 80+]; its circulation is beyond description (negatively); it's premise is thoroughly anti-urban (its program should have been a true mix of retail, office and residential, all directly over a heavy-rail subway connection; and the final aesthetic (both interior and exterior) is a sad export of the third-world).

But if your buying ahead of time to secure tickets for a screening on a busy evening (or buying reserved seats) one has to go up that maze of escalators and then back down again. I'm on the side that it's not such a good idea. The box office was good where it was - slide in, grab tix, get out.

I'm sure that could be handled by leaving the automated kiosks somewhere on the ground floor.

Back