News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Don't worry everyone, clearly the intent is to wrap the incredible activation from 102ave up 100st to this area to culminate in an amazing urban experience.

They could have had angle parking given how much space there is, there is so much space that sidewalks would still have plenty of room. The street is even more dead since the foot traffic from people parking their cars is also gone.

Angle parking on streets is much preferred over surface parking lots and parallel parking.

^
"The Street is even more dead since the foot traffic from people parking their cars is also gone."

Umm, isn't there a large parking lot that's 1/3 full right in the picture?

Screenshot_20221105-151642_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Captain Read-above reminds Captain Obvious that angle parking on streets is much preferred over surface parking lots and parallel parking.

That surface parking lot needs to go and it would have been an easier sell to developers if we had angle parking on 103 Ave. instead of what we have now.

Captain Read-above reminds Captain Obvious that angle parking on streets is much preferred over surface parking lots and parallel parking.

That surface parking lot needs to go and it would have been an easier sell to developers if we had angle parking on 103 Ave. instead of what we have now.

As the pics show above, (thanks @Gronk! ) angled parking has been here for decades so don't think angled parking in this little corridor is the catalyst to have the adjacent parcel of land developed.

I'll be damned! No pot holes on the road, sidewalks appear to be in good shape, angle parking is being actively used. Aside from the surface parking lot there wasn't anything wrong with this sleepy little street.

What was the problem that needed to be solved?

They only thing they needed was to add benches and planters to the existing street to make it look like renovated one above.
Perhaps they thought the road wasn't dark and the sidewalk wasn't white enough.

What a colossal waste of money...

They even took away the trees.

Give it until spring, where I suspect that we will see trees (although usually planted in the fall) and many plantings (I hope).

At the moment it is a bit stark, but I am sure there are plans to add functional and accent lighting, food trucks, djs, and ping pong.

I personally hate when they create decorative sidewalks. After a few years there are always pieces missing, it becomes uneven (and shows very easily), and the maintenance is never there. Just create normal concrete sidewalks. City has trouble learning.

I personally hate when they create decorative sidewalks. After a few years there are always pieces missing, it becomes uneven (and shows very easily), and the maintenance is never there. Just create normal concrete sidewalks. City has trouble learning.
just like those paving stone crosswalks between two strips of concrete edge strips?

on the other hand, they'll keep the pothole repair crews with their asphalt and hand tampers busy. :(

It's just tinted/coloured concrete no?
it's now predominantly coloured concrete (because that turned out so well around city centre mall) although it still includes inserted bands of paving stones.

this appears to be a value engineering change as the concept that was initially presented/approved was "plank style" paving stones for all of the sidewalks.

just like those paving stone crosswalks between two strips of concrete edge strips?

on the other hand, they'll keep the pothole repair crews with their asphalt and hand tampers busy. :(
Just take a look at Heritage Trail and the roadway brick portions which are now 1/3 asphalt it feels like or even the 'new' 100-102st section which has asphalt over the expensive paving stones; don't get me started on the asphalt curb patches throughout the Downtown that 'are to be repaired with concrete within 2 yrs'... but most are forgotten about or 5+yrs it seems.

I'm all for simplified finishes to help with ongoing maintenance, but man o man its a sad state of affairs in many areas.

Just take a look at Heritage Trail and the roadway brick portions which are now 1/3 asphalt it feels like or even the 'new' 100-102st section which has asphalt over the expensive paving stones; don't get me started on the asphalt curb patches throughout the Downtown that 'are to be repaired with concrete within 2 yrs'... but most are forgotten about or 5+yrs it seems.

I'm all for simplified finishes to help with ongoing maintenance, but man o man its a sad state of affairs in many areas.
i first complained about the paving stones in the 104 avenue and 101 street crosswalks more than 6 years ago... given that they're right in front of edmonton tower at one of the gateway entries to downtown, that's a pretty good indication of priorities that can't be blamed on covid as it long-predates covid.

Back