News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

what is the purpose of those long metal piles?
1000030611.jpg

Pretty sure it's for shoring

There's many different kinds! I think they are building a retaining wall at the back between this lot and the building behind.
Has to do with RQD testing if it sits in certain range they used different sizes/ dimensions. (rock quality designation). Might also have to do with principal stress direction but I’m not too sure about that. Anyways that’s what they do in mining.

This is such a huge project. We rarely see developments of this scale in Ottawa. This will be a huge bump to housing starts for this year.

Things are really moving along, but still no site trailers or additional shoring on site, so impossible to determine if this is rolling into a full excavation yet. They are certainly taking a lot of dirt out in front of that retaining wall, but they are just spreading it around, not hauling it away.

Moments ago:
dji_fly_20240829_092744_809_1724938191917_aeb.jpg
dji_fly_20240829_092756_812_1724938201798_aeb.jpg

Sad news. Just talked to a couple of drill rig operators on site and all this work is just 'the owner wants to test the rock', so geotechnical. They said they heard it might be a couple of years before they start construction. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because they didn't seem sure of much.

The worker I spoke to when this all began thought the excavation was starting for the towers.

Sad news. Just talked to a couple of drill rig operators on site and all this work is just 'the owner wants to test the rock', so geotechnical. They said they heard it might be a couple of years before they start construction. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because they didn't seem sure of much.

The worker I spoke to when this all began thought the excavation was starting for the towers.
Couple years is outrageous

This whole situation is just bizarre. If it's geotechnical, why right at the back next to the nursing home? Why the retaining wall? I'm will keep asking questions from workers as I go by.

DJI_0881-HDR.jpg

No timeframe on the actual construction though, so it could still be two years.

This week blasting began at 1047 Richmond Road for the construction of the two towers.

I am disappointed that no one from the development reached out to let me know this would be starting in order to provide notice to residents.

To our knowledge, the blasting will last two days (yesterday and today), followed by about a week break, which they will use to dig out the blasted rock, followed by two more days of blasting.

According to the information we received, the purpose of this work is to remove contaminated materials before the building construction begins.

Once they have removed the rock required, the hole will be filled in until construction phase.

Back