News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

20191013_162633.jpg

Brief mention here by Councillor Gord Perks that this site has been taken possession by the City and is being planned for future affordable housing.

11 Brock Ave

The City of Toronto has taken possession of the property and building at 11 Brock Ave (former site of the LCBO) and will begin to negotiate an application for affordable housing.

Acquisition of Surplus LCBO Property at 11 Brock Avenue for Affordable Rental Housing

Last edited:
Excavation has commenced.

Hmmm

I can't find any evidence of a Planning Application on this site.

As to permits, I can only find the Demolition Permit:

1644365272710.png

Which does not show as issued.

🤨

11 Brock Ave. (old LCBO) Update

Jan 14, 2022

City Council approved to lease the site at 11 Brock Ave. (at Noble St.) to a non-profit housing provider, yet to be determined, to develop and operate 40 affordable and supportive rental homes in a new 4-storey building.

The City and CreateTO have done additional due-diligence work on the site and they are now ready to proceed with the demolition of the existing building. Site activity will begin including construction crew and equipment on-site and installation of fencing mid-January.

11BrockAve.-1.jpg

------------

Also found this from September 7, 2021:

Creating 40 New Supportive Homes at 11 Brock Avenue

Summary

At its meeting of October 2, 2019, City Council authorized the City of Toronto to enter into an Agreement of Purchase and Sale to acquire 11 Brock Avenue, with the intention of securing a not-for-profit housing provider to redevelop the property for the purpose of creating affordable housing. Following this, the City acquired title to the property on December 19, 2019.

This report provides an update on the pre-development work completed to-date, recommends funding to complete additional pre-development work, and recommends that the site be declared surplus with the intention of leasing it to a not-for-profit housing provider to be selected through a competitive Request for Proposals process. Finally, this report recommends that $2,800,279 in Open Door Program incentives be provided to enable the development and operation of the affordable rental housing for a period of 99 years.

Staff have undertaken preliminary planning work and have determined that the subject property would support a low-rise apartment building and could provide the opportunity for housing approximately 40 individuals. The new homes will be made available to vulnerable and marginalized residents including people experiencing or at risk of homelessness. Staff will also work with the selected non-profit operator to ensure that a range of wrap-around support services are provided onsite to help residents improve their health and socio-economic outcomes, and maintain long-term housing stability.

Request for Proposals

Concurrent to site preparation work, staff will prepare and release a Request for Proposals ("RFP") to identify a not-for-profit supportive housing provider to develop the site and operate the building as affordable housing for a period of 99 years. The RFP will be targeted to non-profit providers focused on housing individuals at-risk of or experiencing homelessness. Proponents will be evaluated based on their experience in successfully operating affordable and supportive housing including experience providing property management services and delivering onsite supports for a range of needs, either independently or in partnership with other service providers.

The City will retain ownership of the lands, which will be leased to the non-profit provider for 99 years.

It is anticipated that the RFP will be released towards the end of 2021, with a non-profit provider to be selected in early 2022.

The Housing Secretariat and Corporate Real Estate Management divisions will continue to work collaboratively on all real estate matters impacting City interests with respect to 11 Brock Avenue. City staff will utilize delegated authorities or seek City Council

Only four storeys on this site for the next 99 years doesn't seem appropriate...? (It is steps from a streetcar line.)

I support the city partnering with non-profits to develop sites to meet the chronic lack of housing, but it does seem to come with under-development. Is this a funding problem? What would a typical developer's ask be for this site? Are there structural barriers to non-profits developing at the same density levels as conventional developers?
(I am thinking too about the YMCA' ask for residential development at Vanauley St. 6 storeys in an area where there is an approved 12 storeys (170 Spadina) and all the surrounding asks are currently 15+ storeys.)

AmJ

I'm with you guys - how is only 4 storeys with 40 units acceptable at this location? Is there a specific reason for the lack of ambition?

it's neighbourhoods designated, which holds it to a 4-storey limit.

Be happy the city isn't proposing townhouses here, I guess.

Are you sure?

I looked up the zoning, because in my head the LCBO use would not typically fit in 'neighbourhoods'.

1644436400903.png

It's in Grey, not in Yellow.

I haven't had the time dig up the archived zoning from the old City, to see how the old by-law treated it.

But I did have a quick glance around the area; and just down Noble Street, in the same grey zoning colour is this beauty: Roughly 6s tall (5.5?)

So there does seem to be area precedent for a bit over 4.

1644436350793.png

Neighbourhoods designation comes from the Official Plan, not Zoning. All grey means in zoning is that it's under one of the former by-laws, in this case, the former city of Toronto by-law 438-86. It likely has a residential zone within that by-law.

The Official Plan designates it neighbourhoods (Yellow):

op designation.png

Official Plan policy also puts a 4-storey height limit on development within neighbourhoods, regardless of existing conditions. So this one, even with 6 storeys across the street, can't be more than 4 without an OPA to redesignate to mixed-use areas. Which the City absolutely should be doing, but won't for obvious reasons.

Back