Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The lobbyist registry indicates this is in play with an eye to an mixed market rental/affordable housing project.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32320​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Redevelopment of properties located at 1291-1305 Gerrard Street East for new rental development including Affordable Housing

Former Councillor Peter Milczyn has been retained to push this one forward.

Street level pic below. This site is just east of Greenwood

1631192697053.png

taken from: http://tours.bizzimage.com/67639/1291-1305-gerrard-street-east-toronto-on-m4l-1y8

Aerial Pic here:

1631192889250.png

Site Size: ~2100m2, or about 23000ft2

No heritage protections apply here.

Good spot for intensification, as Gerrard near Greenwood dips into a lull before retail activity picks up again for the main India Bazaar cluster to the east, or the East Chinatown to the west. Not necessarily a whole lot of direct height precedent currently, but I'd push for something around 8-10 storeys if possible.

Does anyone know what kind of density can they put on this parcel of land in this area?

Good spot for intensification, as Gerrard near Greenwood dips into a lull before retail activity picks up again for the main India Bazaar cluster to the east, or the East Chinatown to the west. Not necessarily a whole lot of direct height precedent currently, but I'd push for something around 8-10 storeys if possible.

Nearest height precedent is 5s just a bit to the east.

In that case the streetwall is also 5s (no setbacks), which could, in theory, allow for up to 5+ 3-5 on a setback.

One challenge, unfortunately, is that the existing precedent is ugly as sin and does not contribute to the area from an aesthetic standpoint;
Another challenge is that this will back on to SFH.

On the other hand........because it's directly to the north of said homes, shadowing isn't likely to be an issue. The positioning of the site also means there won't be a material shadow issue (if any at all) on nearby Greenwood Park.

Assuming standard angular plane transitioning, I think 10s is unlikely. But we shall see.

What I do think is important here is good street wall, with quality retail, with a minimum 3s height; but perhaps up to 5 (for the streetwall).

Some additional density here would be good, but I'm think thinking it would a challenge to get more than 7s through, but I could be out to lunch on that.

I would also like to see a commitment to upgrade the Gerrard Streetscape here to match the ideal version of the BIA streetscape to the west.

On-site park dedication would be silly here, with Greenwood Park under a block away, cash-in-lieu is the way to GO.

I'm down with as few as 5 stories and agree that a good street wall with retail would greatly benefit the immediate area. Generally happy so far to see mid-rise infill happening all along Queen East, Gerrard East and Kingston Road - bring it on, I say. Wondering however, what will eventually become of the illustrious Ulster Arms, long boarded up now, on that same stretch of Gerrard. Haven't been paying attention though, perhaps something is already in the works?

Nothing really substantial, but here's some commentary of what a couple local business owners thought about the Ulster Arms site in this 2019 article:

Across the street, vintage-collector Cheryl Gudz opened her antique furniture and gift shop three years ago. Her white-painted storefront brightened that side of the street. The front window displayed a mid-century modern rocking chair and a glowing “open” sign.

Although she’s seen it transforming, Gerrard East still has remnants from its past in the Ulster Arms’ heyday. Development has been happening in certain pockets of the East end neighbourhood. For Gudz, she would like to see her block attract more business in the coming years. “I think it sometimes makes it harder for my shop to be discovered because people have been used to blowing by this stretch and going to Gerrard and Jones or Coxwell,” she said of the more attractive clusters of the strip. “That’s how it is in neighbourhoods that are still up and coming.”

Adjacent to Southwest Northeast, Beadworks’ owner Jo Penny moved in two years ago. Both she and Gudz were searching for affordable rent and were drawn to the Gerrard East charm.

Although it hasn’t been stopping the development for businesses on the block, the Ulster Arms is an eyesore. “Can somebody tear it down?” Penny wondered aloud while gazing out at the abandoned tavern through her bead shop’s front window and musing about all the unsubstantiated stories making the rounds on the block.

“People keep saying they can’t tear it all up because what’s under there is toxic,” she said. “Last I heard they’re turning it into a storage facility.” It’s also possible that the owner is waiting for the right price to sell.

Considering Gerrard East’strajectory, the Ulster Arms could’ve fit the predictable gentrification narrative: the run-down tavern revamped into chic bar and restaurant to fit its trendified neighbourhood. Toronto has seen it done before to the Gladstone Hotel, the Broadview Hotel, and just down the street at the Maple Leaf Tavern.

This site is back on the Lobbyist Registry.

Percy Ellis Holdings is now listed as the interested party.

This one has finally made it the AIC..........and UT.....time to smile.

9-storey residential, fronting Gerrard, by Gabriel Fain architects, and he just keeps knocking out gems.

First the App:

1683979457088.png

From the Docs:

1683979557419.png

1683979633965.png

1683979677616.png

1683979727917.png

1683979775974.png

1683979812929.png

1683979857023.png

Site Plan:

1683979960072.png