Votes: 11 26.2%
  • So So

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The meaning of launch is open to interpretation. It is an open house, but in a way it's also a launch. Putting the website on the Internet could also be a launch, same for ground breaking. I'm happy to see that they are working on the site in any capacity, it tells me the project is still at least progressing.

What makes you say the Moda design was unrealistic? It had lots of flare, but I don't see anything that looks unworkable or unrealistic.

I've been on the forum a long time so I assumed his interpretation meant the start of sales. That's also why I left it open for him to offer further clarification.

The public space in the podium wrapping around the highrise structures was unrealistic with the budget typical to this type of development. It's not impossible; just unrealistic to get through the budgeting.

He's basically saying that the Ship & Anchor Pub alone is worth 1000 Cactus Clubs.

I've been on the forum a long time so I assumed his interpretation meant the start of sales. That's also why I left it open for him to offer further clarification.
The public space in the podium wrapping around the highrise structures was unrealistic with the budget typical to this type of development. It's not impossible; just unrealistic to get through the budgeting.

Apparently Grosvenor almost went for it.

Last edited:
Disappointed that it wasn't going with the original render we saw on the first page but it will be nice to get additional density and some towers at a prominent Beltline intersection.

I will say that the last renders have the same look/vibe as N3's renders did and that project has turned out very well. Perhaps that will be the the case with this one.

A real shame they didn't go with the Moda design, but with McKinley Burkart at the helm, I imagine the design should end up being quite nice as well. At least we didn't get Gaged.

Try adding some randomly pixelated color blocks to your design next time. That seems to be the key to success right now. ;)

Going by that bit of a rendering, the new design looks okayish, but very boring in comparison to the other design. Calgary is coming along, but still isn't quite there yet when it.

I don't know if it's a case of 'Calgary' not being there yet. The original design was from MoDA who's a local architect, and I believe condo purchasers would have been on board with the design but ultimately it comes down to the developer.

Agree, the MoDA design was much more outside of the box, and buyers are probably there for that type of design, but like you said it comes down to the developer and maybe the economics were the deciding factor. Hard to say without knowing all the details. I can guarantee there are buyers who would liove the design, but was it a case of price? In places like London, NYC, Toronto.... you can find those buyers who will pay extra for cool.

I don't know if it's a case of 'Calgary' not being there yet. The original design was from MoDA who's a local architect, and I believe condo purchasers would have been on board with the design but ultimately it comes down to the developer.

Yeah, exactly. If Calgary wasn't on board with good design yet, we wouldn't have the National Music Centre, Telus Sky, the Bow, 707 Fifth, or a number of other projects.

Apparently Grosvenor almost went for it.

Interesting but, doesn't mean much. Almost still means they didn't. I've seen and I'm sure you have seen chosen designs value engineered after the fact too. There's a massive one on 6th by the best known architect in the world.

Back