Votes: 11 26.2%
  • So So

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Far superior and vastly more expensive. Their design was not selected.

That is true. It did look A LOT more expensive. However, for a project like that in that location, cheaping out and going with Stantec might result in a run of the mill bunch of buildings. Thats just my two sense, I personally thought that the MODA design would have signifcantly stood out and become a bench mark for quality in the Beltline.

The Stance design is good. I think it will just come down to the materials that they use. Hopefully good quality white stone or panels instead of the standard spandrel.

Stantec with McKinley Burkart beat out MoDA, which had a far more interesting design, but probably was more costly.
What ever happened to MODA being attached to this project? I personally thought their design was far superior than the current renderings.

The MoDA design had good support at Grosvenor, and actually came fairly close to being a reality, but in the end they decided to go the conservative approach.
That is true. It did look A LOT more expensive. However, for a project like that in that location, cheaping out and going with Stantec might result in a run of the mill bunch of buildings. Thats just my two sense, I personally thought that the MODA design would have signifcantly stood out and become a bench mark for quality in the Beltline.
The Stance design is good. I think it will just come down to the materials that they use. Hopefully good quality white stone or panels instead of the standard spandrel.

The MODA design was an interesting, completely unrealistic concept. Forget about it.

This new design will be a big improvement over what's there now, let's hope it gets built.

Official heights of towers.
West tower 108m (32 storeys plus mechanical penthouse)
East tower 123m (37 storeys plus mechanical penthouse)

Thanks everyone for the complementary words on our work for this project! I don't mind adding that during Grosvenor's review of the various designs, they did a fairly comprehensive costing exercise on all of the schemes that were submitted. Interestingly, all of the schemes were fairly close in terms of construction cost. Our scheme had some innovative economies in the parkade and in the towers which helped to offset some of the architectural flourishes we presented at the podium/pedestrian level. In the end, it was the proposed conversion of the existing office block into a boutique hotel that sunk our scheme. We thought that the corner location would've been ideal for a boutique hotel. And given the current and foreseeable office vacancy it seemed to us to make sense economically as well. Unfortunately for us, Grosvenor didn't see it the same way. According to them, it's difficult to make the economics of a hotel work in Calgary. While the Stantec/MB scheme may be a bit more conservative, we're glad to see that important corner of the city being developed into something that will actually contribute to the urban realm!

Last edited:
No offence to the Duke & Co. over at Grosvenor, but I think you guys had it right. Sadly I'm just some schmuck on the internet and they're the ones with the multinational firm.

Hi Group,
Its Been a While Since I last Heard about this Project. Just as a Matter of Interest, Whats Happening with this Project? When I Worked in Courier Land I did a Lot of Drops to the Office Tower and the 4 Storey Bldg to the East on 17th Ave Side so this Project is a LOT of Interest to Me - all 3 Bldgs.
Tnx
Operater,

Hi Group,
Its Been a While Since I last Heard about this Project. Just as a Matter of Interest, Whats Happening with this Project? When I Worked in Courier Land I did a Lot of Drops to the Office Tower and the 4 Storey Bldg to the East on 17th Ave Side so this Project is a LOT of Interest to Me - all 3 Bldgs.
Tnx
Operater,
Right now it's going through it's usual process with the city. Grosvenor will be done with Phase I of Avenue soon, and maybe they'll push forward on this.

Hi all,

Land use redesignation is under review for this one.

https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#LOC2017-0175

Details for information session below.

What is this application about?

Attend the 4 Street and 17 Avenue Towers Information Session

Join us to learn more about the development and land

use redesignation (rezoning) application that has been

submitted to The City for 1520 4 Street S.W.

When: Tuesday, Sep. 12, 2017

Time: 5pm – 8pm

Where: McHugh House

1515 Centre Street S.

Calgary, AB T2G 2E6

This application proposes to change the designation of these properties to allow for:
  • transfer of heritage density from sender sites at 1121 6 Street SW and 1324 1 Street SW to a receiver development site at 1520 4 Street SW
  • bonus density to be used to support the creation of a publicly-accessible open space in the form of a passageway between 4 Street and 17 Avenue SW
  • density of development to a total building to parcel or floor area ratio (FAR) of 8.2
  • mixed-use development including office, retail, commercial, and residential uses at 1520 4 Street SW
An amendment to the Beltline Area Redevelopment Plan (Map 4, Section 5.2) is required to allow for the proposed redesignation.

If this application is approved by City Council, the overall distribution of buildings, building design, mix and size of uses, and site layout details such as parking, landscaping, and site access will be determined later at the development permit review stage.

Last edited:
They are not building the Moda design.

Back