innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
This is by the same developer as 14-18 Augusta, (already has a thread on SRC), which is currently topped out, and is the second building in the second rendering. The developer has been doing some absolutely excellent heritage restorations around Hamilton for about a decade now, and is getting into new construction. this is off of Augusta Street, a nice little street with a sort of mirvish-village type feel with old houses converted to restaurants. Not too sure on the faux-heritage look here, but knowing the developer it will be very well executed so it shouldn't be too bad. The white building along James St. in the renderings has since been increased to 8 storeys from my understanding:

CN8kM1p.png

s3aZCJv.png

This is now 8 & 8 storeys. the description on the City's website says 8&9 but because of the grade change it's counting the basement level of the building along James:

To develop 2 mixed use buildings; Bldg. 2 has 9-storeys with 56 dwelling units, Bldg. 3 has 8- storeys with 70 dwelling units. Approx. 450 m2. of ground floor commercial per building. 58 parking spaces provided in a common underground structure.

t2nMmWmh.jpg

deKzhMEh.jpg

I wish they extended the brick "tower" portion up to maintain the same appearance of the original height proposal, but I otherwise quite like that red brick building. Nice texture and depth to the facade. The white building isn't so much my cup of tea, a bit too pastiche, but it could be fine if the materials are half decent. I will say these days I just crave seeing proposals with a predominantly masonry facade.

Also, that Medical Arts Building; always loved that one.

reminds me a bit of these:
Haha, I was actually thinking of those buildings as I was posting as an example of how the white building could turn out poorly.

It's going to be hard to mess up since they were smart enough to opt for black window frames. The proportions are also more aesthetically pleasing than French Quarter condos, although the detail is a little minimal.

So much better than a contemporary spandrel fest with a wall-o-glass at street level

these will also be rentals, unlike French Quarter, so hopefully the landlord is a bit better about keeping the facade clean and power washes it more than once a decade or so.

• Haha
Reactions: xy3
It's going to be hard to mess up since they were smart enough to opt for black window frames. The proportions are also more aesthetically pleasing than French Quarter condos, although the detail is a little minimal.

So much better than a contemporary spandrel fest with a wall-o-glass at street level
Good point, French Quarter is just awkward overall, but even black window frames would make a big difference.

Reactions: xy3

Back