Reaction score
City:
Toronto

1575655658962.png

1575655670862.png

1575655682425.png

Current condition of the building:

1575655773080.png

Almost hard to believe that there is still significant unconverted brick and beam warehouse space even left in the city. This is long overdue and I'm sure will fill quickly given the types of tenants that seem to be interested in locating in this area these days, and that it is walking distance from Bloor GO.

More info from Suulin's site:
Junction Adaptive Re-Use - (Under Construction)

The Junction neighborhood has undergone a massive transformation and the redevelopment of the old Viceroy Building at 1655 Dupont Street is a response to these changes. The building currently houses workshop studios and self-storage uses which includes a large tech firm as anchor tenant. The dominant use as a self-storage facility underutilizes its potential on many fronts. Located at the cross roads of Dupont Street and Dundas as well as the West Rail Path, the building is an existing landmark well-situated to be a neighborhood hub for business and community use. While the interiors will house business supported by people near and far, the site will be used to support interaction with the neighborhood and reinforce the character of the area. A farmer’s market, outdoor film nights, maker space and other outdoors areas of flexible use will foster the evolution of the neighborhood and building in a sensitive manner.

We worked with the client to find the best way to enliven activity around the building, proposing to open up access and establish connections to the West Rail Path while creating places of different scales for people to use along the way. We found alternative solutions for the current parking in front so the public face could become pedestrian and welcoming with planting, benches, new steps and ramps to better access the front entrances to the building, intensified with new canopies, lighting and landscaping throughout. The distinguishing twin silo gives the building a new identity while also being transformed into a kiosk for micro vendors. An architectural language was developed to encourage connections between users in the building, their neighborhood and surrounding community, encouraging people to percolate through the building and discover new places.

Plus a few additional renders including this one from the railpath side:
2---EAST-SIDE_5000.jpg

More info from Suulin's site:

Plus a few additional renders including this one from the railpath side:
View attachment 218911

This is fantastic. I live near here and I absolutely cannot wait for this space to be activated and connected like this!

5---ALLEY_1250.jpg

And if we finally get a place that sells fresh vegetables on Dupont I will cry. Hahahah for real though, it's much needed in the area — I hope the market aspect here works out.

FreshBooks already have their headquarters at this building so the interest is definitely there for Tech and I would imagine also design firms looking for alternative office space in the city. There should be sufficient space here to support another (or more) major tenants, similar to how Ubisoft has their offices on Wallace.

In terms of supporting commercial space like a farmer's market, I think the area could use more critical mass in population. Some nearby developments like the Wallace Walk and Heritage towns to the south are a good start, along with Junction House when it gets built. The underused corners of the Dundas W/Dupont/Annette intersection should ideally be considered for intensification in the future.

Still a few in the middle portion left to do, but it appears like there's been more ongoing window replacement work done along Dupont. An F45 gym is also opening here:

March 7, 2020

20200307_154807.jpg
20200307_154646.jpg

Last edited:

Back