Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
We might as well start a thread for this one :)

1616329864368.png

Fron Insertnamehere
1616329924230.png

1616329939677.png

1616329948700.png

Is this a part of oxfords development or separate? Those buildings look like they have potential either way

Is this a part of oxfords development or separate? Those buildings look like they have potential either way
This is not part of the SQ1 lands. The whole empty parcel was purchased by Camrost Felcorp (previously owned by Greenpark Homes), with this section being sold off to Emblem.

This is not part of the SQ1 lands. The whole empty parcel was purchased by Camrost Felcorp (previously owned by Greenpark Homes), with this section being sold off to Emblem.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think it was SQ1 but that development is massive it's hard to be sure. Yet another building for mississauga though! The intensification here is insane!

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think it was SQ1 but that development is massive it's hard to be sure. Yet another building for mississauga though! The intensification here is insane!
This whole section of development (EX District, EX District South, 180 Burnhamthorpe, Burnhamthorpe & Kariya) contains 12 towers and is likely going to be much denser than anything planned in MCC yet. It's absolutely crazy and I'm very glad to see it happening. I hope that the SQ1 district and M City increase their densities for future phases accordingly in response.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about how livable that area will be, and the level of transit service. I don't think it will be great if this development is very car dependent. Doesn't seem like there is much 'there' there, either,

They are building the Hurontario LRT. What this area really needs is a GO Train Stop. And hopefully an eventual extension of the subway from Kipling to MCC and eventually terminating at UTM Campus

Hurontario LRT and Mississauga Transitway is probably the only 'rapid transit' MCC is going to get, and I would not call either rapid transit. No way is Line 2 getting extended to MCC. Maybe we will get a creative way of branching the Milton Line (elevated guideway up Confederation) up to MCC at some point in the distant future.

My concern is that the area isn't going to be walkable because the roads are too wide and not enclosed enough to create spaces.

Roads can be narrowed and sidewalks tripled/quadrupled in width. Their biggest oversight was not chopping up those monster sized blocks. It's not something they can go back and fix later. It's difficult to create a finely grained urban experience when intersections are 200m apart and the buildings lining it equally gargantuan at street level.

Hurontario LRT and Mississauga Transitway is probably the only 'rapid transit' MCC is going to get, and I would not call either rapid transit. No way is Line 2 getting extended to MCC. Maybe we will get a creative way of branching the Milton Line (elevated guideway up Confederation) up to MCC at some point in the distant future.

My concern is that the area isn't going to be walkable because the roads are too wide and not enclosed enough to create spaces.
Is it at all feasible to run LRT down Burnhamthorpe from Islington to SQ1? Length is equivalent to Port Credit to 401.

Roads can be narrowed and sidewalks tripled/quadrupled in width. Their biggest oversight was not chopping up those monster sized blocks. It's not something they can go back and fix later. It's difficult to create a finely grained urban experience when intersections are 200m apart and the buildings lining it equally gargantuan at street level.
At this point, I think only big healthy street trees can help with making these streets walkable. Along with reducing lanes, narrowing lanes, reducing speeds adding green medians. I don't think the buildings will frame the road well enough. They are still building new buildings with strange green strips of grass between them and the sidewalk. Not park or amenity space, just weird unnecessary setbacks. It would be better if they were plantings with benches etc.

I can see eventually adding a loop on HuLRT around Square 1 as originally proposed. Not sure there is enough along Burnhamthorpe to support LRT to Islington. And LRT is not great value for money given how slow it is. Perhaps a BRT could be justified eventually, but it would probably be sapped of demand between the Dundas BRT to the south and Transitway along the 403. Really, Dundas BRT could have a branch off that goes up to MCC and connects with Kipling. It would make more sense to hook MCC into GO where you have a hope of getting somewhere inside an hour.

Is it at all feasible to run LRT down Burnhamthorpe from Islington to SQ1? Length is equivalent to Port Credit to 401.
Forget LRTs, the way the city of Mississauga is growing i can see a 10 stop subway line extension from Islington Ave. to Hurontario Street
...give it 10-15 years and you'll hear all about it

Forget LRTs, the way the city of Mississauga is growing i can see a 10 stop subway line extension from Islington Ave. to Hurontario Street
...give it 10-15 years and you'll hear all about it
Not at $1.3B per km! Frankly, it's unnecessary. Spend all that money getting the Milton corridor widened with sufficient track for electrified frequent all day service.

There's basically already a surface subway. The Milton line runs alongside Dundas from Kipling to Hurontario. A stop can easily be added at Cawthra. That gives you stations at Dixie, Cawthra, and Hurontario. I agree that adding a spur from Cooksville GO station to Square One is the way to go, or making that LRT connection to Cooksville station really easy for commuters. Hopefully that GO line gets electrified.

Back