greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
Church was looking to sell or partner (I think) with a developer but there are complicated steps to the sale of the site due to Baptist Church rules governing that their land use must be used for religious purposes. Anyway, it might be a while before anything happens here but discussions have begun.

This is a pretty nice church with fine architectural qualities that has kept in good condition. If it were to be developed for other usage, a conversion to condo/lofts would make the most sense while maintaining its current structural form intact as it is.

38 Walmer Road

Evolving an iconic community asset in the Annex

Much more than just buildings used for worship, many churches have long-served their local communities as welcoming, expansive places where diverse groups of people can connect, learn, share and seek support.

The Walmer Road Baptist Church has done exactly this since 1889. It is a historic, architecturally significant landmark at the heart of the Annex, one of Toronto’s oldest and most iconic neighbourhoods. Its redevelopment presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to respond to this rich history while boldly expanding its role and uses for today and tomorrow.

We could not be more excited to get started. Our early plans include building a new home for the Walmer Road Baptist Church, repurposing the existing sanctuary for community uses and introducing a residential component. We are working closely with the church and its congregation and will be launching a community engagement process in February 2021. Since COVID-19 continues to impact our ability to gather, we are actively exploring creative ways to host collaborative project-related conversations in-person and/or online, and plan to facilitate related workshops this summer.

We are really looking forward to digging in, listening and learning about local community needs and aspirations – and integrating that thinking into project vision and design. We hope to collaborate and share ideas with partners from around the corner and across the globe. So if you have a suggestion, a question or just want to get involved – we want to hear from you. Please get in touch at info@38walmer.ca.

Estimated Completion: 2025
Key Stats: TBD during design phase

walm.jpg
walm2.jpg

To admit that the millions of time I've by past this church, I had no idea it looked like that inside. So I am now enthusiastic to say that's worth preserving/restoring... whether one is a Ted Cruz fundy or sports a Hitchens tattoo on their buttocks. And all points in between and beyond. Those pew and stairwell curves are simply amazing...

...that all said though, I am saddened to say that there was an unassuming cross perched on top of that bell tower till late. As up to its removal, it was precariously leaning to a point where it might fall off and land upon someone. I'm pretty sure it would have hurt a lot if it did. So whatever contractor capped where the cross once stood in its place. And now looks as pictured above.

But I doubt it's the only thing that's falling off with this structure. So I really do hope whatever they do with this building, they fully restore it in all its splendour, IMO.

To admit that the millions of time I've by past this church, I had no idea it looked like that inside. So I am now enthusiastic to say that's worth preserving/restoring... whether one is a Ted Cruz fundy or sports a Hitchens tattoo on their buttocks. And all points in between and beyond. Those pew and stairwell curves are simply amazing...

...that all said though, I am saddened to say that there was an unassuming cross perched on top of that bell tower till late. As up to its removal, it was precariously leaning to a point where it might fall off and land upon someone. I'm pretty sure it would have hurt a lot if it did. So whatever contractor capped where the cross once stood in its place. And now looks as pictured above.

But I doubt it's the only thing that's falling off with this structure. So I really do hope whatever they do with this building, they fully restore it in all its splendour, IMO.

Full restoration is the only option - that interior is magnificent. I too had no idea...

...so they'll be adding padding to the pews Pentecostal style in said community repurposing?

I'll put in for a new home for Spadina Road Library Branch.

Its current home is this dumpster fire:

1612880138593.png

The move would be a considerable upgrade aesthetically.

By road, the distance between the 2 buildings is only 288m

The move would put the library physically closer to more people due to the high proportion of apartments on Walmer.

It would also be a much needed and substantial enlargement for the branch.

Taking it from just over 4,000ft2 on 1 level to over 7,000ft2 using just the sanctuary, on just one level; assuming the balcony could also be used, you can probably get more than double the usable space of the current branch.

I'll put in for a new home for Spadina Road Library Branch.

Its current home is this dumpster fire:

View attachment 299190

The move would be a considerable upgrade aesthetically.

By road, the distance between the 2 buildings is only 288m

The move would put the library physically closer to more people due to the high proportion of apartments on Walmer.

It would also be a much needed and substantial enlargement for the branch.

Taking it from just over 4,000ft2 on 1 level to over 7,000ft2 using just the sanctuary, on just one level; assuming the balcony could also be used, you can probably get more than double the usable space of the current branch.
That library definitely needs an upgrade. It looks like a generic suburban library.

It would be great if it were redesigned by a First Nations architect. That would definitely make the library unique, especially given that the library specializes in First Nations collections.

Spadina between Bloor and Kendal could become a First Nations cultural district.

38 Walmer Road

There’s Lots of Ways to Get Involved!

We hope to collaborate and share ideas with partners from around the corner and across the globe to create a really special project at 38 Walmer Road . . . and you’re invited to take part.

Share Your Thoughts in our Online Survey

We’re in listening and learning mode, trying to understand everything we can about the local neighborhood and the communities that connect therein. The survey will take five minutes to complete. As a little thank you from us, all respondents will have a chance to win a $25 gift card to a local restaurant or business. To access, click here.

Check Out a Multimedia Art Installation

Local artist Ophira Calof and their team, in partnership with the ReelAbilities Film Festival of Toronto and ArtworxTO, will project a multimedia installation called Dis/Play onto the exterior walls of the Walmer Church from November 12 to 15, 2021 with showings at 7:15, 8:00, and 8:45 PM. It’s free, sign up here.

Join a Guided Story Tour

We’ve partnered with local community experts on a series of special events:

• November 12, 6:00 to 7:30 PM: Ophira Calof will lead a guided tour of their art installation Dis/Play.
  • November 20, 2:00 to 4:00 PM: First Story Guides, Trina Moyan and Jill Carter will share the Indigenous history of the area and discuss the role community builders can play in Truth and Reconciliation.
  • November 28, 1:00 to 3:00 PM: The Walmer Church Congregation will share special memories and stories from the site’s history and our project team will explain what we’ve learned through the community engagement process so far, and how those learnings are influencing our redevelopment plans.
Participation is free. For registration and more info: click here.

Get in Touch If you have a suggestion, great partnership idea, question or just want to get involved – we want to hear from you! Please get in touch with us any time: info@38walmer.ca.

walm.jpg

Back