Scotia is maintaining its large campus; but it's important to note that there is a lot of sunk $$ there; notwithstanding that, SB offers employee shuttles to the GO Stn/Kennedy that leave pretty much all day, frequently, as well as a dedicated shuttle down to Scotia Plaza as well.

Put another way, it wouldn't get built there from scratch.

Aviva has left the area, they relocated to 'Downtown Markham'.
Forgot about that. Markham seems even less accessible a location than the Golden Mile, for what it's worth. The "last mile" so to speak is certainly an issue, I work in the area but drive since access from the GO stations is a pain. An employee shuttle sure is a good deal!

Eh even if there was an incentive to locate offices throughout the city, it's a really hard sell to potential employees. Offices located downtown are accessible to employees all over the GTHA, and if employers want workers back in the office they need to make it as easy and appealing as possible - an office that you have to take TTC to after landing at union from a GO trip will turn off a lot of potential talent.

I know a lot of people who have just not bothered to apply for roles they're interested in or qualified for due to the offices being difficult to access via transit.

Sure, developers can build office space, but as Project End stated, it will always be harder to lease and will go for way less than space in the core - there are numerous companies who just won't bother. It doesn't mean there isn't a need for some office space out in the fringes, but realistically it's not going to attract huge companies the way it did in years past.

Valid points, though there are GO stations prior to Union; Kennedy, Eglinton, Scarborough for instance. I imagine there are lots of people who would rather avoid the congestion of the core and reduced commute time if the connections from the GO stations were better; hopefully once the Crosstown comes online that will help with the issue. There's also the possibility that as areas like the Golden Mile are redeveloped with more residents, there'll be a pool of people who would also want to work there instead of commuting downtown.

It's all a long way away, but I suppose that's the theory behind Downtown Markham and Avila's relocation.

The answer I gave here:

Applies to this as well, except that this is the first offer on this site, so far as I recall.

Update from city council meeting's agenda

Does this basically mean that it will be approved pending council approval?

…and in fact, Council did vote to accept the settlement (which is no surprise, just recording that fact here).

Back