News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Spotted a lobbying effort for the above properties in the Lobbyist Registry today. The effort isn't new (it dates from 2019, but remains active); for that reason, I thought we would already have a thread
for this, but if we do, I can't find it.

Aerial Pic:

1658253544710.png

This is a very large site; though obviously the water lot portion will not be the subject of development, I wanted to show that as its reflected in the property lines on TOmaps.

Nominal Size (including waterlots) 4 ha/10acres

Practical size (excludes waterlots) 1.7ha/4.25 acres

* I don't believe there is any scenario where this site does not have to provide an on-site parkland dedication, and likely larger than 10% given that this would be waterfront parkland with trail.

Streetview: (Royal York frontage)

1658253857977.png

Streetview: (Lake Shore frontage)

1658253951783.png

Notes/Comments: This is a lot of rental replacement units, certainly looks to be north of 200. One would have to pack an enormous amount of height in here to make the numbers work and I see no applicable precedent and no MTSA designation is in the offing.

I'm not convinced this is going anywhere.....but perhaps others have more insight.

Last edited:
There's all sorts of heritage on this site in the rear and Lake Ontario setbacks, but I did see some blue monument monitoring wells on-site driving by. Would be a great spot for some seniors housing if they could weave it in the backside somehow.

This strikes me as a really odd place for redevelopment to happen at the moment. Especially considering there are A LOT of sites prime for intensification/redevelopment along Lakeshore Village and Mimico. Not even talking about the vacant plot of land a couple doors down which there has been no action on for almost a decade, and another plot which has been on sale another couple doors down.

This strikes me as a really odd place for redevelopment to happen at the moment. Especially considering there are A LOT of sites prime for intensification/redevelopment along Lakeshore Village and Mimico. Not even talking about the vacant plot of land a couple doors down which there has been no action on for almost a decade, and another plot which has been on sale another couple doors down.

While I agree, I expect that this is because the entire block has a single owner, and they are looking to maximize their value, probably with a sale in mind.

There are others here who might have more insight into that; that's purely speculative on my part.

But as I noted, I have a tough time here coming up with a financial model that works when I look at this site. But perhaps I lack the requisite chutzpah or imagination.

Mr. Martin Grinstein is buying up all of the south side down to First Street it seems. He definitely has some obstacles in the way. 300+ units with the 4 buildings combined. Heritage property won't stop this guy. Not enough historical value left on the boat house. The Gardner's Cottage is barely hanging on .... Any news on the lobbying? He has been down this road before in 2012 not sure if the land has other issues due to dumping decades ago.

Mr. Martin Grinstein is buying up all of the south side down to First Street it seems. He definitely has some obstacles in the way. 300+ units with the 4 buildings combined. Heritage property won't stop this guy. Not enough historical value left on the boat house. The Gardner's Cottage is barely hanging on .... Any news on the lobbying? He has been down this road before in 2012 not sure if the land has other issues due to dumping decades ago.

Interesting info and first post. Welcome to UT @LILLUROD

I don't have any immediate updates, but I will keep my eyes open for some.

Back