androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4T 2T5

Ward 22: St. Paul's

Application#: 15 135953 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Apr 2, 2015

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal for exterior Renovation -facade design reclad of exterior finishes, addition of branding box at Loblaws frontage, new stair, signage, entrances AND Interior Renovation -redesign & planning of concourse, circulation, retail spaces,supermarket, sit-down cafe, redesign of escalators, ceilings, skylight, lighting, points of entry, new entry doors, finishes to TTC entry.

Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,485
Last edited:
Much needed, the insides of the building are just a bit dated and non-functional. going to the food court here was a laborious task and generally underwhelming. These buildings at St clair and yonge have a lot of potential in them to really by reworked and better used and in an area with a growing number of higher income individuals, I can see why owners are chomping at the bit to get a bigger piece of their pie.

Wide sidewalks, transit and a fairly vibrant street scene are all great parts which can hopefully be enhanced here. I've always seen St clair and Yone as the little engine that could so I'm pulling for it.

New sidewalk interface (compare with the shot in the first post):

DSC03839.jpg

When faced with putting in a railing to cover the elevation change, Gensler suggested a bench should go here. It's become a piece of architecture, landscape architecture, and street furniture all in one, and it's being called a "ravine bench", referring to the topography a block to the east!

DSC03840.jpg

DSC03841.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03839.jpg
    DSC03839.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 722
  • DSC03840.jpg
    DSC03840.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC03841.jpg
    DSC03841.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 655
I used to work in that building and this is a fantastic set of improvements! Bring on Yonge and St Clair.

Way better than what was there before but a long stretch of bank windows with ads still for a lively streetscape does not make. Same goes for the CIBC on the south-west corner. I'm starting to think banks should be relegated to second or higher floors at major intersections. How great would be a small grocery store, with fresh produce lining the street?

You mean like the Loblaws that will face onto Yonge Street that you can see in the render?

Did you just call Loblaws a small grocery store? I meant like Badali's on Bayview. You know, stuff on the street you can browse through while on the way home from work. The Euro-model of building public spaces.

It's a small Loblaws grocery store yes.

Good luck with something like this surviving at Yonge and St. Clair.

128b-20081013-badalis.jpg-resize_then_crop-_frame_bg_color_FFF-h_1365-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_2048_.jpg

The curtain wall is really impressive. It has a simple elegance to it.
Gensler is doing a great job on this corner.

Gensler is a fantastic firm. Can't wait for them to tackle a tower in the city, have been super impressed with their larger pieces of work (just look at Shanghai Tower - superb!).

Back