News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the addition of three new wards in 2018, has there been any chatter on potential candidates, other than the obligatory Kevin Clarke candidacy?

Unless something has changed, the new boundaries are unlikely to be in place before the next election according to staff. I posted this in October based on an article:

Consultants had met the original timeline set out by staff, but because Tory pushed back and asked them to come back with 44 ward option, this move has now pushed the timelines beyond 2018. For another 4 years, downtown residents will continue to be underrepresented. Their overworked councillors will continue to be burdened by large populations and development proposals. All thanks to John Tory's politically motivated manipulation of democracy. When asked by the media about this, Tory says he doesn't apologize for delaying ward boundaries process.​

Unless something has changed, the new boundaries are unlikely to be in place before the next election according to staff. I posted this in October based on an article:

Consultants had met the original timeline set out by staff, but because Tory pushed back and asked them to come back with 44 ward option, this move has now pushed the timelines beyond 2018. For another 4 years, downtown residents will continue to be underrepresented. Their overworked councillors will continue to be burdened by large populations and development proposals. All thanks to John Tory's politically motivated manipulation of democracy. When asked by the media about this, Tory says he doesn't apologize for delaying ward boundaries process.​

Hey salsa, I was confused as well, but this November 9 Star article said it was approved:

Council to add three new members with ward boundary change
Council will grow by three members after council approved new ward boundaries on Wednesday.
Despite last minute attempts on the chamber floor to redraw some of the lines in Scarborough and a push for fewer politicians at city hall, council overwhelmingly adopted recommendations from consultants in a 28-to-13 vote.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ee-new-members-with-ward-boundary-change.html

Hey salsa, I was confused as well, but this November 9 Star article said it was approved:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ee-new-members-with-ward-boundary-change.html

The plan was approved, but the implementation has been pushed back beyond the next election because of the delays caused by Tory. The consultants originally proposed 47 wards. Tory wasn't happy so he ordered them to go back to the drawing board with a new plan containing 44 wards. Of course in the end the consultants did not change their original recommendation, and then the 44 plan was rejected by council. But this delay has messed up the timelines.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that implementation is definitely delayed.

After all, there was a lot less time to deal with the elimination of seven municipal governments in 1997 and their replacement by once single entity. They had ward boundaries set up for that.

There's still ten to twelve months left for all the necessary work to be done to be ready for the 2018 campaign season. The wards themselves won't be put into full effect until October 2018.

I'm not sure that implementation is definitely delayed.

After all, there was a lot less time to deal with the elimination of seven municipal governments in 1997 and their replacement by once single entity. They had ward boundaries set up for that.

There's still ten to twelve months left for all the necessary work to be done to be ready for the 2018 campaign season. The wards themselves won't be put into full effect until October 2018.

I was just repeating what staff said in October, which is that the new wards are "unlikely" (in their words) to be implemented on time. If the timeline issues have been resolved since then, then that's welcome news to me.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ikely-to-be-redrawn-before-2018-election.html

I watched some of the council meeting that dealt with the redistribution, and I find it fascinating how the notion of "communities of interest" come into play in the disucssion. So what a community a few blocks away shares a ward with you? So what if you have to cross a bridge? What's the big deal? People in Ontario's North share a riding (talking provincial here, but still) with communities that are only accessble via 1.5+ hour flight, and are of a completely different culture and speak a different language (think Attawapiskat in Timmins - James Bay).

Anyway, one of the proposals I saw had the Etobicoke Lakeshore ridings as the most populated, which doesn't make sense to me as they are some of the biggest geographically in the city. I understand an over populated ward when it takes up a small geographic area, but not both large in geographic size. Realistically in a dense city like Toronto, we should be aiming for equal population, or as close as possible. The provincial and federal governments verge away from that because they have areas like Nunavut, PEI, and in Ontario, Kenora (and the previous example I mentioned). Communities aren't THAT different from each other in the city, so grouping any two areas shouldn't be seen as a big deal. Also this notion of "splitting up" a community is regressive thinking. We should be happy these communities are growing, and can have 2 council representatives instead of one.

I was just repeating what staff said in October, which is that the new wards are "unlikely" (in their words) to be implemented on time. If the timeline issues have been resolved since then, then that's welcome news to me.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ikely-to-be-redrawn-before-2018-election.html
Maybe a Provincial Party will assist Tory in redoing council.

• 1 Councillor per federal/provincial riding (vote worth 1).
  • 1 Deputy Mayor per Community Council (vote worth 2) (Separate candidates vie for this).
  • 1 Mayor (vote worth 4).

Get this format of City referendum (plebiscite) on 2018 election for implementation in 2022.

Also interesting is that KWT has confirmed that she intends to run for re-election (I wasn't sure she was, possibly paving the way for Chris Moise), and that Smitherman is still banking on the new 47 wards to be implemented in time for the next election.

Also interesting is that KWT has confirmed that she intends to run for re-election (I wasn't sure she was, possibly paving the way for Chris Moise), and that Smitherman is still banking on the new 47 wards to be implemented in time for the next election.

I suspected that too. If McConnell were to not run for re-election, and Furious George were to run for her open seat, and the 47 seat plan is implemented, there would still be a 'new' open seat in the downtown east/Yonge street corridor, which is within Chris Moise's current TDSB ward.

There is going to be a lot of 'behind the scenes' chatter between councilors, especially allies, about making sure that they do not run against one another. If the 47 ward plan is approved, one real possibility is an Ana Bailao vs. Gord Perks race. I would give Perks the advantage.

There could also be some interesting races in midtown, where Cesar Palacio and Joe Mihevic's wards will be chopped into different pieces.

Meanwhile, in MMM's soon to be vacant seat, I've heard rumblings that Toronto Danforth trustee Jennifer Story might run next door either for her seat or in the provincial election against Arthur Potts.

Last edited:

Back