News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is discussed in today's TorStar:

https://www.thestar.com/news/toront...ure-of-upcoming-toronto-election-for-now.html

More than ever, it looks like the Province getting a stay is doubtful. The Appeal Court might be willing to grant one, eventually, but not until many other legal arguments are examined and a clear case made possible.

Remember: The 'Status Quo' is the 47 ward council, not the 25, something the Court will use as a neutral default reference.

I hope you're right but I also hope there is an extension to the election. In my current ward, which may change, Michelle Holland was going door to door today, Crawford has been all over the place and because they have both done this before they have such a head start on the new people who aren't career politicians. I'm sure it's no different in other wards.

I hope you're right but I also hope there is an extension to the election. In my current ward, which may change, Michelle Holland was going door to door today, Crawford has been all over the place and because they have both done this before they have such a head start on the new people who aren't career politicians. I'm sure it's no different in other wards.
This is right to the point! I don't see how the Judiciary could overlook this, and as reluctant as they need to be on any political aspects, Constitutional Rights are uppermost in this case. That's what it's all about. And that's where the "Status Quo being 47 wards" kicks in, because if all legal action is removed, which is the gist of the 'stay'...it will be to default to the Status Quo: 47 wards. That could be conditional on the granted stay.

In my prior post I quoted, I expressed concern over whether intervenor status would be party to the stay or not. Clearly it is, and the many intervenors with very powerful arguments. Presented with such arguments, I don't see how a stay can be granted, *especially in lieu of an Appeal applied for, but the Province not asking for an expedited hearing on it*. The Judges are going to query that....and ask 'why not'?

And as to the election date itself, being the highest court in Ontario (branch of the Ont Supreme Court), the Judges might just rule (albeit the mechanism eludes me, I'm not an attorney) that a case be submitted to their court for a new date with added time for the election, or to the appropriate court to doing so. I don't know if this is the venue for ruling on it, but effectively the Toronto election date might be declared null and void until a court can examine the arguments to set a new one.

I also wouldn't be surprised that the Triumvirate excuse themselves from deciding on this case, and move it to the SCC. No matter what the outcome, Ford Incorporated is going to have to shut down the production line, at least for the 25 ward Civic Election model, for the next four years.

Last edited:
I'm noticing a divide on who is best positioned to defeat Mammoliti in the (almost certain, unfortunately) switch to 25 wards. Some are say Anthony Peruzza because of incumbency (John Filion called on people to support him at last week's rally for example) but Tiffany Ford seems to have a lot of progressives supporting her (such as Kristyn Wong Tam and Jill Andrew).

If Deanna Sgro's still running, she could peel away votes on the right, too.

Toronto should ignore the Province and go ahead with the 47-Council election!

Yeah, wait, that's not a bad idea. Why isn't this being done as a matter of course?
What legal recourse is there against the clerk for doing this?

I mean, it could potentially be an illegitimate election anyway (not too many of ours are very legit, but that's another point entirely) so we may as well have an illegally elected council.

I won't quote sections of this, legal arguments seem to not resonate with most readers. For those of you who are intrigued on the legalities, this is a must read:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...nding-clause-must-be-challenged-in-court.html

Author:
Tim Armstrong, QC, is a former deputy minister in the Davis, Peterson and Rae governments.

Tim Armstrong, Q. C.

Tim is a former Ontario arbitrator, Labour Board chair, deputy minister of labour and industry, and Ontario agent general to the Pacific Rim. He is the Toronto Liaison Officer for the Japan Bank for International Cooperation.
https://www.cardus.ca/contributors/tarmstrong/

Last edited:
What it’s like running for council amid the notswithstanding clause drama
https://www.ctv.ca/YourMorning/Vide...-the-notswithstanding-clause-drama-vid1488755

Really hoping that both of these two candidates win. Beth Levy and Brad Bradford are both urban planners by profession, and have lots of experience in municipal administration.

Beth Levy has David Crombie's endorsement. She'd have a better chance under 47 wards (running in the "North Toronto" part of Eg-Law which has a very weak incumbent) but it's going to be very difficult for anyone to beat Mike Colle with 25 since he has represented the entirety of the ward.

Last edited:
25 wards it is, apparently.

Cross-posted to Doug Ford's Ontario thread:

The Stay is granted.

The full decision is here:

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2018/2018ONCA0761.pdf

The gist is that the judges felt the appeal had strong merit and the lower court erred.

It appears ancillary orders will follow (likely changing nomination periods)

25 wards it is, apparently.

Cross-posted to Doug Ford's Ontario thread:

The Stay is granted.

The full decision is here:

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2018/2018ONCA0761.pdf

The gist is that the judges felt the appeal had strong merit and the lower court erred.

It appears ancillary orders will follow (likely changing nomination periods)
Good, I'm glad that's settled. Let's get on with it.

Fingers cross Mammo and Ford Jr. are both booted out of City Hall.

Back