News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Looks like Etobicoke North, same as the provincial riding won by Doug Ford (PC), the federal riding went to Kirsty Duncan (LIB) with 61.3% versus Sarabjit Kaur (CON) with 22.1%. Renata Ford (PPC) got only 2.8%, less than Naiima Farah (NDP) with 11.1% but more than Nancy Ghuman (GRN) with 2.6%.

Doug Ford basically saved Canada. Ontario's pain is Canada's gain.

I also think that if Trudeau would tone down the over the top emotion and dramatic personality, he would not be as hated by some as he is. I find his manner of speaking to be grating, he's too touchy with people and gets into their space, says uh and um way too much. I voted Liberal just to keep the Cons out but I am not a fan of his.

Doug Ford basically saved Canada. Ontario's pain is Canada's gain.

I also think that if Trudeau would tone down the over the top emotion and dramatic personality, he would not be as hated by some as he is. I find his manner of speaking to be grating, he's too touchy with people and gets into their space, says uh and um way too much. I voted Liberal just to keep the Cons out but I am not a fan of his.
I think Justin Trudeau should be humbled by this result and it would be for the best for him and for the country overall..

Speaking for myself and most people I know they don't have much issues with the policies of the Liberals and frankly it's hard to say but the major reasons why there isn't a majority liberal government is likely due to Justin Trudeau himself

Last edited:
Globe and Mail is reporting the turnout as 66% - only a drop of 2.8% and still a respectable number when compared to the past 20 years.

On the CBC coverage, Naheed Nenshi kept calling Alberta the engine of the country. It is factually not the engine of the country. If we have to apply that label to any single province that's undoubtedly Ontario. Alberta's alienation seems to stem from the fact that their dominant political philosophy isn't supported by most Canadians and the fact that they seem to have a view of their province as inevitably becoming the dominant region of the country. Any bumps in that road are viewed with hostility at the parts of the country that they think is artificially holding them back. It is, at the risk of making people feel more alienated, delusions of grandeur.
Nenshi repeating that many times was getting on my nerves too, especially as he wasn't being challenged on its truthfulness.

It doesn't matter where they were born. Harper and Scheer are westerners through and through.

Scheer in particular spend only a couple years in Sask before heading back to Ottawa as an MP (AKA where he grew up, graduated high school, and did most of his post-secondary education). So he's basically been in Ottawa his whole life - I mean, I lived in Edmonton and then Vancouver before the age of 6 but I'd never say I'm a "westerner".

On the CBC coverage Naheed Nenshi kept calling Alberta the engine of the country. It is factually not the engine of the country. If we have to apply that label to any single province that's undoubtedly Ontario. Alberta's alienation seems to stem from the fact that their dominant political philosophy isn't supported by most Canadians, and the fact that they seem to have a view of their province as inevitably becoming the dominant region of the country. Any bumps in that road are viewed with hostility at the parts of the country that they think are artificially holding them back. It is, at the risk of making people feel more alienated, delusions of grandeur.

Alberta has one of the most ridiculous political cultures in the country. Of course, the reason Nenshi is all braggy and annoying is because he's the mayor of Calgary. If he were from Edmonton, I doubt we'd be subjected to this.

Oh look, it's the Liberals' fault again. AND THEY ARE BRINGING WHAT LAW?!

Ah yes, Newfoundland betrayed Alberta now. Just saying, but offshore oil is regular crude and doesn't need a pipeline to get to "tidewater". And I'll never understand how Alberta separation will help

Speaking for myself and most people I know they don't have much issues with the policies of the Liberals and frankly it's hard to say but the major reasons why there isn't a majority liberal government is likely due to Justin Trudeau himself

Weren't you complaining about carbon tax and how you're going to vote for the Conservatives awhile ago?

AoD

51st State.

AoD

There's an irony though; for all the bluster and rhetoric, Alberta is to the political left of California on an as-lived basis.

Its pro-universal healthcare; elected an NDP government, and a muslim centrist Mayor in Calgary, more people take transit in Edmonton and Calgary than most US cities.

Rhetoric notwithstanding, the province is also pro-choice and pro-gay rights; and reasonably immigrant friendly.

They would feel isolated on the political left in the U.S.

There's an irony though; for all the bluster and rhetoric, Alberta is to the political left of California on an as-lived basis.

Its pro-universal healthcare; elected an NDP government, and a muslim centrist Mayor in Calgary, more people take transit in Edmonton and Calgary than most US cities.

Rhetoric notwithstanding, the province is also pro-choice and pro-gay rights; and reasonably immigrant friendly.

They would feel isolated on the political left in the U.S.

Yes and no - just as a thought exercise you can still have those things as a state, and I suspect the politics will change if it is a bona fide part of US.

AoD

Weren't you complaining about carbon tax and how you're going to vote for the Conservatives awhile ago?

AoD

I would say Scheer did not inspire me.

Having doubts about the liberal version of the carbon tax does not make me right wing.

I just believe in more direct action that has effects around me immediately.

Back