Burlington, Ont. — April 13, 2022 — Yesterday, at a Special Meeting of City of Burlington Council, council voted to accept the recommendation in staff report PL-24-22 and refuse the applications for Official Plan Amendment and Zoning Bylaw Amendment submitted by Burlington 2020 Lakeshore Inc. proposing a mixed-use development at the site of the current Waterfront Hotel and subject of the Waterfront Hotel Planning Study.

City staff evaluated the applications for Official Plan Amendment and Zoning Bylaw Amendment for 2020 Lakeshore Rd. under all applicable policies, regulations, and guidelines. They considered all comments received from technical reviewers and the public.

The proposed development is not consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement, does not conform with A Place to Grow: Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, does not conform with Halton Region’s Official Plan and does not conform to the policies of the City of Burlington Official Plan (1997 as amended). The proposed development also does not conform to the City’s new Official Plan (2020). These factors led Staff to recommend refusal of the subject applications.

At another Special Council meeting also held yesterday, City Council voted to receive and file the Waterfront Hotel Study Planning Justification Report.

Background

Located next to two of Burlington's most significant landmarks, Spencer Smith Park and the Brant Street Pier, the City asked for input to make sure the new development would reflect a high quality of urban design that would enhance the community's access to the waterfront and the downtown.

Public meetings were held in February on both the planning study and the development application for residents and stakeholders to talk about the study process and hear from City staff and the consultant team. Information for the projects were posted on Waterfront Hotel Planning Study webpage and the City’s online engagement platform, Get Involved Burlington. Information was also posted to the burlington.ca/2020lakeshore webpage.

Burlington is a City where people, nature and businesses thrive. Sign up to learn more about Burlington at Burlington.ca/Enews and follow @CityBurlington on social media.

Joint Statement

Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward and Ward 2 City Councillor Lisa Kerns

"Our planning staff have provided a very thorough rationale for why this application should be rejected. The application is not reflective of the feedback we have heard from the community over many years related to this landmark site. We have heard loud and clear residents want to see more parkland on this site next to our jewel of a waterfront park.

The many other deficiencies with this application have been well articulated in staff’s report and are summed up well in this section on page nine: ‘The subject application(s) are not consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement as they propose development at an intensity that exceeds what is considered to be an appropriate level for its local context within the land use patterns of the Regional Official Plan and Official Plan.’

Regarding the Waterfront Hotel Study, given the information that has recently come to light, we have simply filed this report. We will have more to say about next steps in coming weeks.”

Links and Resources

Waterfront Hotel Planning Study

2020 Lakeshore Rd. Development Application

surprise, surprise, Burlington rejected another development proposal. When was the last time they actually approved one? Off to the OLT where it'll get approved I guess.

Where were all the No Sprawl Halton advocates on this one? I'd love to see them request a MZO in favour of all the high-density downtown Burlington applications before the election!

I would support development or re-purposing of the property or the parking lot that makes up a sizable potion of the site. But not the proposal on the table. Greedy, cheap, and just another cliff between the community and the lake. The city has moved towards reasonable zoning requirements for the entire ' downtown' area of Burlington. And those zoning requirements reasonably reflect the existing issues with traffic and transit as well. Burlington does not need to be a reflection of Canyon City i.e. Toronto, just because developers enjoy maximizing profits. But Burlington can add density and build neighborhoods, and is doing both, although at a pace that would frustrate most,

It is my understanding that the developer has lost all hearings at the Tribunal. I am trying to verify that. And the status of next steps. I am also trying to verify the report that the developer wished the city to narrow Lakeshore as part of the proposal.

The ideal result to all of this would be to blow the twisting hotel to smithereens, add to the existing lake side parkland, and save a unique view down Brant Street to the Lake. (Much like you had on University Avenue when I was a kid). With the other developments underway, that would be a unique signature for Burlington. And darn inviting as you are sauntering down to the Queens Head for a chilled pint.

It is my understanding that the developer has lost all hearings at the Tribunal. I am trying to verify that. And the status of next steps. I am also trying to verify the report that the developer wished the city to narrow Lakeshore as part of the proposal.

The ideal result to all of this would be to blow the twisting hotel to smithereens, add to the existing lake side parkland, and save a unique view down Brant Street to the Lake. (Much like you had on University Avenue when I was a kid). With the other developments underway, that would be a unique signature for Burlington. And darn inviting as you are sauntering down to the Queens Head for a chilled pint.
My understanding is that they lost technical motions regarding when the application was deemed complete which would have helped them in their eventual full hearing. It remains under appeal.

As it currently stands: Not a bad little hotel. Nice spot, never stayed there though.

thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg

The Plan once again:

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Back