jta5

Member Bio
Reaction score
1632316067818.png

Proposed Development​

• The proposal is for a mixed-use development that will consist of retail and service commercial uses at grade, offices, a banquet facility and restaurants, a 130-room hotel, and 557 residential apartments. These uses will be within two tall buildings (35 storeys and 30 storeys inclusive of a 5-storey podium).

I hope that this project goes through. There is a lot of NIMBYism in Halton region but the area really needs the densification. These smaller GTA cities such as Burlington have so much development potential.

The hieght factor is bound to happen even in this area! It will make the Burlington downtown skyline more impressive. When driving northwards towards Toronto on the Burlington skyway.

Local news website Inhalton (which I feel is often anti-development/anti-densification in its coverage of stories) published a short article on the project yesterday. According to the article Burlington mayor Marianne Meed Ward holds the position that the citizens of Burlington are against the proposal. Link to the article is here

‘People don’t want it’ says Burlington mayor on proposed waterfront development​

Damon MacLean
Published September 23, 2021 at 11:58 am

The City of Burlington has 12 development applications pending and while many are contentious, the Waterfront Hotel seems to be creating a great deal of conflict despite the fact that a decision has not yet been made.

According to Mayor Marianne Meed Ward, the feedback she has received from the community is very straightforward.

“People don’t want it,” she said during an interview with inHalton.com.

“They do not want the redevelopment. They think it’s out of scale. They think it’s too high. They would either prefer all of it being purchased, if that were possible by the City, for parkland or a much-scaled back proposal.”

The proposed hotel is right next to Waterfront Park.

The mayor has emphasized that green space is the main community concern around this project.

“[People want to see] more green space and a scaled-back project so that they were loud and clear at the public meeting that we held that that was their vision for what should be on this property.”

When asked where she stands on the proposal, Ward said the City must review all the information it has.

“We have an obligation to objectively review all of the information.”

Meed Ward said that an application for the project has not yet been submitted to council. Once the application arrives, staff must review it and make recommendations. After that, council will examine it and ask the community to share any concerns.

A public meeting was recently held on the waterfront redevelopment and more are expected in the future.

Further information can be found on the city’s website.

Local news website Inhalton (which I feel is often anti-development/anti-densification in its coverage of stories) published a short article on the project yesterday. According to the article Burlington mayor Marianne Meed Ward holds the position that the citizens of Burlington are against the proposal. Link to the article is here
When one is elected by the people, doesn't mean they're always assumed to be speaking on behalf of the people...

Im really surprised to see this proposal.

I filled out a survey right before covid that was asking residents what they wanted this site to become.

So I had assumed the land was owned by the city.

Didn't think a decision had been made.

While I'm am very in favour of development in downtown burlington, I had voted for this to be turned into parkland at least the western half of the site.

For me it would have meant a much better pedestrian gateway into the park could be created right at the end of Brant.

The hotel is owned by Vrancor Group, which is likely the proponent for this redevelopment.

Another one blocking the view of the Lake for anyone who doesn't live there; and sited far too close to the water from an environmental and risk perspective.

Sigh.

A lot of this is on Burlington, and Halton Region, who should have been zoning these park space decades ago, and buying them up one at a time.

Timeline:
Spring 2022 - Approval from Planning Committee for Rezoning denied
Week afterwards- council ratifies rejection
Week after that - Vrancor appeals to OLT
(in between, lots of lawyers get lots of money thanks to Burlington Planning Committee's failures)
Summer 2024- OLT approves development
Early 2026- Construction starts
Late 2029- Occupancy.

Another one blocking the view of the Lake for anyone who doesn't live there; and sited far too close to the water from an environmental and risk perspective.

Sigh.

A lot of this is on Burlington, and Halton Region, who should have been zoning these park space decades ago, and buying them up one at a time.
If it's any consolation Halton Region has slowly been buying basically every house along the Burlington Beach strip adjacent to the Skyway. There were probably 20-30 residences along there a decade ago and it's now down to only about maybe 5.

This property is also set back over 50 metres from the shore. Not sure how much more you are expecting. I understand being a bit hesitant about Bridgewater's adjacency to the lake, but this one is set back quite significantly.

There is access to the lake currently through a public promenade extending from the public pier to the west, and the under renovation access adjacent to the Bridgewater on the east side, which seems to be wrapping up details this spring. A key will be extending that access further to the east as further developments take place.

The city also had a program of buying up properties to extend and connect the pieces of land constituting the Burloak Waterfront Park, adjacent to the border with Oakville. That program went on for years, and that park has been under extensive renovation/development for the past couple of years. It will be interesting to see if this concept can be expanded, but it would be expensive and take time. An additional program could be to add access to the lake on the lakeside frontages of the continuous strip of High Rise residential running along the Lakeshore to the west of the Burloak Park, extending about .5 of a km or so.

Helpful in that the long, mostly dead Lakeside plaza area on the north side of the Lakeshore is under a major redevelopment review for an addition of 6 or 7 towers and the retention of the grocery and drug stores.

Also helpful as this appears to be a major cluster of retirement living.

Back