News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If the PCs got that many seats Del Duca would be turfed however I don't think Andrea would. Knowing the NDP as I do, they would give her another kick at the can by blaming everything on the voters.
Admittedly, high 20s in seat numbers *is* good, under the circumstance. Particularly compared to where they were at when you left the party (and remember that when you left the party, a Doly Begum within your particular riding would have been implausible--that is, whether you like it or not, she happened under Andrea's beat).

And it's not like Andrea *wouldn't* decide on her own volition that it's time to pass the baton. Besides, when has the ONDP *not* had reason to blame everything on the voters? After all, technically, Ted Joliffe, Donald MacDonald, Stephen Lewis, Michael Cassidy, Bob Rae (well, for '95 following '90), and Howard Hampton were all, uh, "losers"...

Oh, and as goes the PC signage: I think the "compact" version of the party logo would have looked more satisfying
p_cp.gif

Kristen Wong-Tam never struck me as entirely competent. She struck me more like the grassroots, activist type which is a perfect fit for the NDP.

I worked in Toronto-Centre, doing Condo Security and I know exactly what you are referring to. The City of Toronto safe injection site at Victoria and Dundas created a whole host of problems for us, we regularly had "locals" smoking crack in our lobbies. She did nothing for the area and her activism based policies caused more problems than anything.
I'm curious to see how well she fares on election day. She's pretty hated these days and even I'm having a hard time stomaching her. She's been shockingly quiet as St. Lawrence has gone through months of window smashings and seems to be running away from any and all neighbourhood groups.

I’m curious how poor the Liberals would have to perform for Del Duca to be turfed.

Third party finish? He’s definitely gone. But official opposition in the 25-30 seat range? He probably hangs on.

She did garner a lot of support for her ridiculous position that building towers on top of the Corktown subway station was "too dense" for the neighbourhood.

I’m curious how poor the Liberals would have to perform for Del Duca to be turfed.

Third party finish? He’s definitely gone. But official opposition in the 25-30 seat range? He probably hangs on.
Personally, I think if they finish 3rd (in seat numbers, at least) but are well into the official party status safe zone, there's no firm reason why Del Duca *shouldn't* live to another day (unless he loses his own seat, of course). Trouble is, the OLP is so hardwired into no-worse-than-2nd entitlement, they'll make a mountain out of a molehill and paint such a restoration-of-dignity result as more of a catastrophe than it is.

Which makes me wonder how much of this "diminishing" of Andrea Horwath is "projection" on the Libs part. Sort of like, she and all her class-of-2018 seats happens to be the main thing standing in the way of *their* success; or a certain "if she was our leader, we would have turfed her long ago" passive aggression (yeah, as if "turfing" were the only means by which a leader stops being leader). It's like Liberal success is *very* dependent upon the NDP reverting to Howard Hampton-era (or federal-level) levels of support and seat tallies; and the trouble there is, low-to-mid-20s polling numbers don't suggest that's anywhere on the horizon. So just pump up the "3rd place in the polls" and "Andrea can't win, she's tried over and over but she just can't win" rhetoric, and maybe the electorate will catch on that it's a wasted vote, even in landslide incumbent seats like Davenport or Toronto-Danforth. And maybe that low-to-mid-20s will become *actual* Mulcair-esque downward trending rather than simple stasis...

She did garner a lot of support for her ridiculous position that building towers on top of the Corktown subway station was "too dense" for the neighbourhood.

Publicly opposing high rise developments, whether genuine or feigned, always plays well to local community groups.

It's interesting how since the election period started, all of Del Duca's appearances have suddenly been without his previously ever-present glasses. Desperate attempt to make him less nerdy looking? (not working)

It's interesting how since the election period started, all of Del Duca's appearances have suddenly been without his previously ever-present glasses. Desperate attempt to make him less nerdy looking? (not working)
It didn't work for Wynne in '18, either. (Made her look like "Scary Lucy".)

Though ditching the glasses *did* work for David Peterson in '85.

Of course, *with* glasses, the former MPP for Canada's Wonderland bore an uncanny resemblance to...

Back