News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Nothing happened "en masse" in this election considering the minuscule turnout. I voted for Penalosa, but I don't think reelecting Tory is a disaster. He is relatively competent; there was no reason to rush to the polls to dislodge him, unlike his late predecessor.

Exactly. Tory's a blandly inoffensive fellow, and is probably the closest thing to a genuine moderate we're ever going to see from the Conservative movement these days. It's telling that whenever they're mad at him, our local reactionaries tend to refer to the man as "John Liberal." Pathetically enough.

And yes, he's still benefitting from the fact that the person who preceded him was an out-and-out lunatic. Hard not to look good compared to that.

Except that council is going to matter a lot less now with provincially mandated strong-mayor powers. Having a majority is nigh meaningless when it isn't even a supermajority.

AoD

I'll beg to differ on that. There are a lot of things the Mayor can't overrule Council on at all; and the Mayor cannot pass a budget without Council which is the single most important thing each year in determining operational outcomes, and capital project delivery.

The 'strong mayor' powers are real enough and can certainly be used to thwart the will of Council; but the Mayor can still be thwarted by Council and for all practical purposes requires their support.

Doesn't it also only apply to housing where council doesn't align with the provinces goals?

Unless Michael Ford or one of Doug's daughters decides to run, then John Tory will need to run as the lesser of those "evils".

That's a ghoulish thought, isn't it? Well...to give Mikey his due: he's not the walking scandal factory that his uncles were/are. I'll say that for him, low bar as it obviously is. On a personal level, he's not as nasty a piece of work as either Slob or Thug...as far as we know. Nor does he appear to be a famewhore or the toxic mess of personal issues that kindly old Unca Crackhead was. He also doesn't appear to be as extreme in his politics as his uncles, though really, who knows for sure?

As for Thug's daughters, they have no business holding any kind of position of political power. Which almost guarantees at least one of them is going to run for public office someday, doesn't it? Given the Fords' utter lack of any ability towards feeling of any degree of shame. Ugh. If it comes to that, lets hope there's a limit to this bizarre hold the Fords have over certain parts of the city. But then, it didn't help Renata any when she ran for office.

... He also doesn't appear to be as extreme in his politics as his uncles, though really, who knows for sure?
... lets hope there's a limit to this bizarre hold the Fords have over certain parts of the city...
The way things are going, I'm guessing there might be an opportunity for a type of mayoral candidate who spouts a lot of meaningless slogans along the lines of "cleaning up the city", "tough on crime", etc.

Back