8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

TAS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wondering if there's interest on reflecting back on some of the best things that happened in Edmonton during the year that will move the city forward or that will have a lasting impact - a bit of a gratitude exercise.

I was thinking @IanO should kick this off due to his general negativity toward the city 😁 - but anybody could start.

Tough love, tough love!

-YEG seems to have some momentum again on all fronts (keep it going!)
-The Downtown finally has some traction to make it safer, cleaner, more inviting
-Lighthouse (IPL) is going!
-A bunch of key residential projects got going and will add a lot to both traffic (workers), residents and the skyline (a perception of growth)
-Rice Howard Way feels good again
-Continental Treat is a BIG WIN for that area (2021/22 news)
-ICE District is coming alive and looking great
-City market is such an important win for SO many reasons
-MacEwan's goal to bring 10s of thousands more Downtown is vital
-Enterprise Square's Renos look awesome
-WorkNicer expansion!
-102 Avenue continues to have a lot of potential as a pedestri... sorry, I just can't

ARC is huge. So thankful we’re catching up there.

Valley lines and LRT expansion in general. In 10 years we’ll see very different numbers in transit and non car use thanks to these.

“West village” area of 118-125st in Oliver is becoming a very nice area. 2-3 projects finishing this next year will solidify it as the new hot spot for urban living in our core I think.

Macewan expansion for business building.

100m for bike lanes, 119ave and 110st garneau lanes finished. 132nd ave proposal.

The parks & maclab in general. Massive projects for our city.

I agree that Arc Card has to be one of the main urbanism highlights.

I have noticed this past year some pretty significant momentum on economic growth, too. Especially hydrogen, tech, food.

University of Alberta continues to kill it in international rankings. Funding cuts don't seem to have had much negative effect. I think the University is becoming its own force. Kind of like a perpetual motion machine, self sustaining.

Flair Airlines solidifying its headquarters here and massively growing service of of YEG

Frankfurt service returning to YEG.

Strong population growth in the city.

Major hydrogen projects announced for the metro region
Flair Airlines is developing a new hub at YEG
Edmonton Oilers playoff run and the crowds gathering at ICE District aka the Moss Pit
ICE District completed with Loblaws, Icehouse, Banquet, Oilers store and other shops now open
Successful summer events such as the Heritage Festival, Taste of Edmonton, K Days, Folk Fest, Cariwest and The Fringe
Parks, Falcon and Citizen are among the many new or upcoming highrises and midrises in downtown, Oliver, U of A and Garneau
Station Park is underway in Old Strathcona
Warehouse Park construction to begin in the next year or two
Tawatina Bridge reopening has re-established an important river crossing for pedestrians and cyclists
Trial run of pedestrian-only 102 Ave is ongoing
Arc cards have opened to the public
Valley Line SE LRT is on-track to open next spring
Valley Line West LRT construction is well underway
Metro Line LRT expansion to Blatchford construction continues
Capital Line LRT expansion to Ellerslie should begin construction soon
Blatchford neighborhood is coming along slowly but steadily
Stadium Yards is coming along
Yellowhead freeway conversion is ongoing
SW Henday 3-laning is almost completed
Hwy 15 bridge twinning is finished
Ray Gibbon Drive twinning is ongoing

...did I miss anything?

I think the work the city is undertaking in updating zoning bodes well for the near future in adding density and hopefully even small business uses - all working towards 15min city. We are one of the more progressive cities in North America when it comes to what can be built on a private lot - much moreso than Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.

Numerous times throughout the year the city approved missing middle projects in communities despite a fair amount of NIMBYism and that is just going to ramp up with the LRT expansion.

Worth repeating from above, the Oilers winning 4 in a row to take the Flames out in 5 was special - brought me back to my youth in the 80s.

I like the announcement of CWB solidifying YEG as corporate head office and unveiling their new tower plans in Ice District.

Glad to see Commonwealth Stadium attracting some big time events - Garth Brooks, Metallica next year and the recent snowboard event.

And for me, the city commiting to the new bike lane infrastructure along with continued integration of that network in neighbourhood renewal projects is helping create a more liveable, vibrant city.

I find this disturbing.
47: Percentage of Edmonton police officers who live in Edmonton, according to data obtained by Postmedia.

I find this disturbing.
47: Percentage of Edmonton police officers who live in Edmonton, according to data obtained by Postmedia.
If you don't live in Edmonton you are not personally vested in the well being of Edmonton. I would bet that 53%of 60% Sherwood Park and the rest spread out. I bet these police office dont spend a minute longer on the job as the need to as they have a commute.

I'm not sure about that. Most people who live in Sherwood Park think of themselves as Edmontonians, not Sherwood Parkians (?).
It's not their city - they are not vested in Edmonton and if they were they would live in Edmonton. UCP is requiring (most) employees of Athabasca University to move to the town of Athabasca so they are vested in the community and not just their employer (Athabasca University). Alternatively create the Edmonton Metropolitan Police with a Board from the region.

It's not their city - they are not vested in Edmonton and if they were they would live in Edmonton. UCP is requiring (most) employees of Athabasca University to move to the town of Athabasca so they are vested in the community and not just their employer (Athabasca University). Alternatively create the Edmonton Metropolitan Police with a Board from the region.
i think that's nonsense. just because someone lives in the county of strathcona or st. albert or spruce grove etc. doesn't mean they're not vested in the region overall and in edmonton, particularly if they work there. as well as working there, they probably also attend eskimo and oilers or oil king games, they're kids are likely to attend the u of a or nait or macewan, they are as likely to have friends and family living in the city as not...

besides which if you lived in broadmoor your commute to downtown would be 12 km and if you lived in windermere it would be 24 km.

as for the province's moves regarding athabasca and athabasca university, stupid is doesn't have to be copied by stupid does.

Back