News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'm also amazed Canada hasn't elected a female PM (not counting one stooge selected by the party to take the fall). This is the same country that in the recent past had a majority of female premiers, including a lesbian. I was also impressed how completely not an issue Wynne's sexuality was when she was premier.
Wynn had a ton of baggage from past leaders and people kept saying she holds blame.

Wynn had a ton of baggage from past leaders and people kept saying she holds blame.
Ironically, if Wynne's sexuality *did* become an issue, it might have been in the end, as a Ford National opportunistic dogwhistle.

And I wouldn't overinterpret anything "amazing" in Canada's lack of female PMs--there's only been 4 since Kim Campbell, remember (and Chrystia as Justin's putative anointed successor wouldn't raise eyebrows; or, any interpretation of her "problems" wouldn't relate to her gender)

Ironically, if Wynne's sexuality *did* become an issue, it might have been in the end, as a Ford National opportunistic dogwhistle.

And I wouldn't overinterpret anything "amazing" in Canada's lack of female PMs--there's only been 4 since Kim Campbell, remember (and Chrystia as Justin's putative anointed successor wouldn't raise eyebrows; or, any interpretation of her "problems" wouldn't relate to her gender)
We have also had quite the dearth of female party leaders at the federal level. The CPC had a few female heavy hitters that I thought would have made decent leaders, such as Rona Ambrose (frankly I think she could have won where the likes of Sheer or O'Toole failed). Freeland does seem to be the heir apparent, but I'm doubtful she has the charisma to be selected leader/elected PM. She has odd mannerisms (I frequently see her making odd faces in the background while someone else is speaking during pressers).

Maybe I missed it. But I didn't really notice much mention of Wynne's orientation in the context of the sex ed curriculum debate. I am alphabet mafia too so it's not like I am just oblivious.

If you think Wynne's sexuality didn't become an issue you weren't watching closely enough. Homophobic attacks were very rampant when the sex-ed was curriculum was manufactured as an election issue, with great contributions from the media.
I don't think the small fringe that is the anti sex-ed curriculum is a reflection of where the province was. There are small fringe groups that are against anything. It isn't indicative that it was an issue for the general populous.
Maybe I missed it. But I didn't really notice much mention of Wynne's orientation in the context of the sex ed curriculum debate. I am alphabet mafia too so it's not like I am just oblivious.
Same. Not at all. And Ford decided to put the Gay AF Lecce into the Minister of Ed role, something he wouldn't do if that was the issue.

If you think Wynne's sexuality didn't become an issue you weren't watching closely enough. Homophobic attacks were very rampant when the sex-ed was curriculum was manufactured as an election issue, with great contributions from the media.
As per my point, as an opportunistic dogwhistle t/w the end. But in her first election in 2014, none of that factored in. And everything in between was coasting btw/elections.

A leader's sexuality is a non-issue until there's something to draw opponents' mobilized attention to it. Then: "Hey, looky here! Lesbian Premier, grooming your young ones!"

Work smarter, not harder. Forward 311 complaints to 311. Empower community councils to do more.

Work smarter, not harder. Forward 311 complaints to 311. Empower community councils to do more.
Yes, yes, yes. The real problem with the larger Wards and over-worked Councillors is that they did VERY little rethinking of how things should be run in the new (smaller) world. This was probably inevitable when this smaller Council began and Council basically followed the suggestions from Staff but after a year of seeing how it (didn't) work very well the Mayor should have set up a wider 'enquiry' 9 maybe wioth outside reps) to suggets structural and procedural changes.

Community Councils should certainly do more and Council as a whole should certainly do a bit less (but do what they do do better!) . They should also look at their procedures: I sometimes watch Council meetings and far too much time is taken up with procedural matters and many Member motions are proposed only because a Councillor wants to show his/her constituents they have done something and have not got their acts together to put it through the proper channels. The following is a perfect example from today's Council:

MM45.43
(New)
Relocating and Expanding Black Creek and Downsview Libraries - by Councillor Anthony Perruzza, seconded by Councillor Gary Crawford (Ward 7) URGENT

* This Motion has been deemed urgent by the Chair.
* This Motion is not subject to a vote to waive referral. This Motion has been added to the agenda and is before Council for debate

The reason for "urgency' is given as "This Motion is urgent because the libraries are in rented space and the costs are increasing." This may be true but it is hardly something that has arisen overnight!

Stephen Ksiazek is running in Don Valley East for DMW's soon to be former seat on Council.

He is the President of the Don Mills Residents Association.

I'm not endorsing or slagging him here, but providing his website for those who are interested:

I will say, he's off to inauspicious start on one front.....he chose to put out a Tweet bragging about getting lots of campaign signs out; the comments underneath are not kind about the visual pollution and/or environmental cost.

1658781514535.png

I'll post the first 4 comments:

1658781559566.png

Back