News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The head of a local suburban residents association is likely not going to be any better than DMW.

I understand that suspicion, and it may well be valid; but I will wait to see more from this candidate before passing judgement.

The only stuff on his website that isn't exceedingly general is the suggestion that he would favour any large new developments including rental in the mix. That much is reasonable.

Whether its his only reasonable statement is TBD.

The Star reporting on Mike Layton not running.

University-Rosedale is a potential stepping-stone riding to a future run at a higher Liberal Party level, so this race should attract a lot of young candidates with that in their minds long term.

University-Rosedale is a potential stepping-stone riding to a future run at a higher Liberal Party level, so this race should attract a lot of young candidates with that in their minds long term.

That brings us to 7 open seats on Council which represents 28% turnover. If we can oust maybe 5 more, 4 of whom are named by @DSC above; but I'd add Crawford..........

That would be incredible and essentially turn over 1/2 of Council. (one short)

Bits and Bobs from the article:

"In a surprise announcement, the Ward 11 University-Rosedale city councillor, one of the most recognized faces in local politics, told the Star he will not seek re-election Oct. 24 and has no firm plans for his next job."

"He wants to continue fighting climate change and inequality in a role outside elected office that will give him back evenings and weekends at home. To that end, he has no plans to seek the Ontario NDP leadership."

"Layton, who does not know if he’ll endorse a candidate to succeed him, said he’s not concerned about the right-leaning council losing three high-profile voices for progressive causes."

Paula Fletcher has not declared either way yet. She’s overdue for replacement. I really tire of Gord Perks, but not sure if I want the mayor’s candidate – Siri Agrell – instead.

Out of all the incumbents left, there’s only one that I would honestly like to see return: Josh Matlow. Mostly because he’s a very principled critic of the mayor.

I hope Gord Perks stays at least until Tory is gone away.

I'm not surprised by Layton's announcement. He always seemed to be more interested in little-er things like farmer's markets and composting and making jam with the community... I'm still surprised by Cressy's departure though, he seemed a lot more ambitious and bigger picture oriented (such as the great vaccination campaign of 2021)

Now if only dome of the long-term seat fillers like Frances Nunziata, Grimes, Colle, Holyday and Fletcher would follow suit.......
Holyday has been there less than a decade, so I wouldn't say he's a "long-term" seat filler. I do hope someone challenges him, hopefully the more moderate John Campbell runs again since it was close last time.

Except that Rosedale notwithstanding, there's greater likelihood of an anointed municipal NDP successor.

I’ve spent plenty of time with both Layton and Cressy. I agree that Cressy seemed more ambitious, but Layton always seemed more genuine and committed to getting things done (beyond jam 🙄). He was a responsive and involved councillor. Cressy was always about Cressy.

I am aware how pitting one against another is counterproductive, but in Layton's case, it's far easier to seem "responsive" when you intentionally engage in smaller matters and avoid taking any macro-level responsibilities. Your post is a great example that how thankless is all the work Cressy has done. Optics over results.

Last edited:
Except that Rosedale notwithstanding, there's greater likelihood of an anointed municipal NDP successor.

Norman Di Pasquale has already announced his candidacy. Chris Moise is KWT’s heir apparent, while Ausma Malik is the favourite for Cressy’s old seat.

They’re all good people and will likely be good councillors, but there’s an unfortunate inevitably with the downtown wards.

Back