8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

From this BBC post:

This, attributed to Mr. Putin...........:

1664994984973.png

To which I reply "With whose soldiers and what equipment"?

Interesting. Subtle reminder from the US the Ukraine can reach into Russia. Also, a warning to Kyiv to not go behind Washington's back.
I'm a little confused as to why Ukraine would be behind this honestly. Not doubting the credibility of this report, but I just don't understand how Dugin was in any way a strategic target. It could've played so easily into Putin's hand for a relatively insignificant target.

She was gaining an influential political profile in her own right. Aside from her father. So it probably was a good way to send a message on capabilities without killing anybody of significance. Also, sets all the elites wondering if they are trying to bump off each other.

She was gaining an influential political profile in her own right. Aside from her father. So it probably was a good way to send a message on capabilities without killing anybody of significance. Also, sets all the elites wondering if they are trying to bump off each other.

And she is younger with more future mileage. Plus you know what they say - you don't hurt someone directly - you hurt what they loved. Kind of "odd" you don't hear much about Dugin after this episode anymore eh?

AoD

And she is younger with more future mileage. Plus you know what they say - you don't hurt someone directly - you hurt what they loved. Kind of "odd" you don't hear much about Dugin after this episode anymore eh?

AoD
People seem to forget she wasn't the main target though. Dugin was and changed cars last minute.

On one hand I get how it's a demonstration of, we can get you, but security would've obviously been tightened up after the incident. I just feel like it doesn't make sense to waste your abilities on such a meaningless attack that could so strongly backfire. But that's just me.

I personally think it's a waste of a hit. And the Americans probably think this too. Hence the leak. To stop them from doing something that foolish again.

And honestly, Russia is actually starting to fall apart. Their army is collapsing. The blame games are starting at home. Skilled workers are fleeing. They are deindustralizing. The Ukrainians can just let all that run its course. No need to risk political support for something like this. The only exception would be Putin himself.

Last edited:
Reports that the Ukrainian army has amassed a large force to open a third major offensive into occupied Zaporizhzhia. If successful, this would sever Russian supply lines to Kherson by splitting the land bridge. It would also isolate Crimea.

I hope it goes quickly - they have maybe 4 to 6 weeks left before winter sets in.

From today's Economist newsletter:

"There is no sign of any immediate threat to Mr Putin’s rule, although Moscow is rife with rumours of impending martial law and border closures. Fatalistic acceptance is widespread, just as it was during the pandemic, when perhaps 1m Russians perished without any uproar. But a businessman describes a growing sense of his vulnerability by quoting from “The Jungle Book”, a classic British children’s novel that is apparently a favourite of Mr Putin: “When a leader of the Pack has missed his kill, he is called the Dead Wolf as long as he lives, which is not long.” Even if that proves wishful thinking, no one would have said it a few months ago. "

Putin is not in immediate danger. But the way Prighozin (Wagner group) and Kadyrov (Chechens) are starting to talk about Shoigu, it's clear that Shoigu and the military in general is being setup to take the fall for Putin. The question is, how long before we start seeing larger revolts blaming the whole elite class? This isn't always a guaranteed thing. Takes quite a lot for them to normally overthrow their government.

Back