News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ukrainian national anthem being sung at tonight's NHL game in Winnipeg

From link.

It’s going to be a special pre-game ceremony in Winnipeg tonight.

The Ukrainian national anthem will be sung before tonight’s NHL game featuring the Montreal Canadiens and Winnipeg Jets.

The Hoosli Ukrainian Male Chorus will sing O Canada and the Ukrainian national anthem, the Jets announced this morning.

This will be the first Jets game held at Canada Life Centre since Russia started an unprovoked war with Ukraine last week. Canada has the second-largest Ukrainian diaspora group in the world after Russia, with over 180,000 people in Manitoba identifying as Ukrainian, according to CBC.

The idea is already a hit with fans, who voiced their support in response to the Jets’ tweet.

There's logic to that assumption because it's in the interests of the US to support us in such a scenario. Plus we're both NATO members.
To a point, but there is the matter of sovereign integrity. In terms of continental defence, if left to the US, your are correct that they would not likely let it happen because we are a flank that they will not leave unprotected. But they would do it on their terms.

Given the hundreds of MANPATS given to the Ukrainians I’m hopeful that the convoy is being allowed to approach into a trap.
I've thought about that too. It's presence has been all over the media for a couple of days. Obviously, Ukraine couldn't carry the battle over the border. We don't know the tactical situation and whether this is contested airspace. We armchair generals are left to wonder

To put this into perspective, I was talking to my 86 year old Grandmother earlier who was in Budapest as Soviet tanks rolled in.

She was there when the Soviets were cast out and when they came back with force. She watched as soldiers and tanks drove through the Hungarian capital in 1956.

While she is very much concerned for Ukraine she is also upset by the double standard.

When Hungary was invaded by the USSR in 1956, their Prime Minister requested help from the West to repel the invasion. That help was refused.

Now when Ukraine is invaded the West comes to their aid.

The past is the past but it does put things into perspective.

While she is very much concerned for Ukraine she is also upset by the double standard.
The reason the west is eagerly helping Ukraine is because of the lessons of the past, of Poland in 1939, of Hungary in 1956. Learning and applying lessons from the past is not a double standard.

Besides, Ukraine isn‘t getting what they want. They don’t want weapons, they want foreign intervention. And they’re not going to get it.

Last edited:
The reason the west is eagerly helping Ukraine is because of the lessons of the past, of Poland in 1939, of Hungary in 1956. Learning and applying lessons from the past is not a double standard.

Besides, Ukraine isn‘t getting what they want. They don’t want weapons, they want foreign intervention. And they’re got going to get it.

Also like it or not Hungary was firmly in the Warsaw Bloc in 1956 - direct intervention meant a high risk of escalation to nuclear war. In this instance - the west is assisting with sanctions and supply of weapons for a country that had been independent for over 30 years, but again avoiding direct conflict with Russia

Also keep in mind the Bay of Pigs lead to Castro being paranoid and leaning to the Soviets - the latter to their credit maintained control over the nukes in Cuba - Castro would have used them. The West cannot be directly involved in the fighting -part of the effectiveness of the Ukrainian resistance belies the fact that it is being seen as a fraternal war right now, not between the Slavs and outsiders. Watch for Putin trying to escalate and drag the west in so that he can have a pretext.

AoD

Last edited:
There should be a "Putin" thread for this article...

Photos: Putin keeps his distance during meetings

From link.

417de5d0-98c2-11ec-bf3f-aa47d35384f3

Russian President Vladimir Putin leads a meeting on economic issues in Moscow on Monday. (Alexei Nikolsky, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417e5b00-98c2-11ec-99bf-645f6bd0dcc4

Putin with Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu, second from left, and Valery Gerasimov, head of the general staff of the armed forces, in Moscow on Sunday. (Alexei Nikolsky, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417ef740-98c2-11ec-bfff-72509c2813cd

Putin toasts with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev after talks in the Kremlin on Feb. 22. (Mikhail Klimentyev, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417c1110-98c2-11ec-adee-acac523f77ae

Putin and Aliyev during a news conference at the Kremlin on Feb. 22. (Mikhail Klimentyev, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417de5d1-98c2-11ec-aefc-278b9bf6b6fd

Putin and Aliyev during their meeting in the Kremlin on Feb. 22. (Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417c3820-98c2-11ec-a6ea-ccbac39e2465

Putin chairs a security council meeting at the Kremlin on Feb. 21, days before the invasion of Ukraine. (Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417de5d0-98c2-11ec-8be9-799005769948

Putin and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz during talks in the Kremlin on Feb. 15. (Mikhail Klimentyev, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417ef740-98c2-11ec-aba8-222683ff5e3b

Putin meets at a distance with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Feb. 14. (Alexei Nikolsky, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

417e33f0-98c2-11ec-96d7-2895011c2745

Putin and French President Emmanuel Macron on Feb. 7. (Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP, File

417f1e50-98c2-11ec-bfd3-96f4f65ea32a

Putin and Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán toast after talks in the Kremlin on Feb. 1. (Alexei Nikolsky, Sputnik, Kremlin Pool Photo via AP)

The US wouldn't allow a NATO ally to be invaded. There's a reason that Russia and the USSR before it never dared to invade a NATO country. I've always thought we should increase our defence spending, not for fear of the US not helping us, but because each NATO member needs to do its part.
Trump was also actively trying to deconstruct NATO. Canada should not be complacent in assuming the US will come to help no matter how likely that may be.

Powers rise and fall, and the geopolitical structure changes, we're seeing that as we speak and we need to be prepared.

Putin bombed a holocaust memorial yesterday as apart of his "denazification" campaign. Who knows where he'll stop. I think he's crazy enough to try and take on NATO.

Trump was also actively trying to deconstruct NATO. Canada should not be complacent in assuming the US will come to help no matter how likely that may be.

Powers rise and fall, and the geopolitical structure changes, we're seeing that as we speak and we need to be prepared.

Putin bombed a holocaust memorial yesterday as apart of his "denazification" campaign. Who knows where he'll stop. I think he's crazy enough to try and take on NATO.

As much as Putin is in charge, I wouldn't put it past members of the Russian government to start a coup if crimes against humanity were committed or contemplated.

Putin may be firmly in charge but I doubt anyone in the Russian government wants to be on the wrong side of history if this goes sideways.

As much as Putin is in charge, I wouldn't put it past members of the Russian government to start a coup if crimes against humanity were committed or contemplated.

Putin may be firmly in charge but I doubt anyone in the Russian government wants to be on the wrong side of history if this goes sideways.

I'm sure there are whispers among shadowy figures within the cavernous halls of the Kremlin...

Back