News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Given such low voter turnout, who really knows what “the city” wants
This one might be an outlier with higher than usual turnout. The public seems interested.
If I had to make a bet, this will come down to Ana Bailao vs Josh Matlow with every other mayoral candidate behind them. I could get behind and support Ana Bailao if she jumps in.
Would an endorsement from Tory help or hinder?

Next: Whitey McWhiteface goes to Corso Italia for a slice of pizza pie.

Then to Agincourt for some General Tso and egg rolls.

Soo. I don't want to let too many cats out of too many bags.........but I feel like I should share....

a) I'm not personal friends w/Bradford, but I've had a few dealings w/him, and personally, I found him mostly good to deal with......I have found him quite frank for a pol;
I mean people just like sharing w/me, as UT'ers know, LOL....... but Brad can offer very, ummm. PE' esque takes when you talk to him privately.

b) I got introduced to Brad by another pol who supported him, who I still get along with quite well. I was very on-the-fence when he first ran, he made me 3 very clear promises, he kept 1. The pandemic merits a bit of slack; but
I was not and am not satisfied overall w/o how he addressed two (and no, I'm not sharing, LOL) (Well, ok, the Danforth Bike lane was the one he kept) But they were not personal, they were City-wide policy matters.

c) I understand ambition, sometimes expressly personal, sometimes, at least in theory, motivated by the desire to get power to do good things with it; as is my wont as a pragmatist, I will cut staff or pols some slack when I think, on balance, that
will serve the public interest.

d) I was disgusted by what he did to Bravo on the floor of Council, during the budget. There is no letting that slide. I may have been disappointed before, I'm much less pleased now. I don't agree with Alejandra on everything either; but I have no doubt the intent of her motion was good, and sincere, and not overly political. I also have no doubt that what Brad had to say was very political, disingenuous, and mean. Not ok, at all!

While I'm sharing..........I don't think I've heard Brad talk publicly about his Wife's occupation much. To be clear, I don't believe in picking on pol's spouses; I don't know his wife and am not casting aspersions of any sort.

However, her line of work is certainly a potential conflict of interest for a guy attempting to spearhead planning reform.

She's a VP for a major Toronto developer.

To his credit, he reads as 'absent' on key votes involving their applications; however, they obviously have a vested interested in 'Planning reforms'......

Last edited:
I wanted to like Brad early on. I followed him, he still follows me on Twitter. I thought he brought a pragmatic centrist urbanist perspective, especially his support for Danforth. I met him at the Danforth pilot in 2020, I thought well of him then.

But I guess he fell deep into Tory’s orbit, leading to his disgusting behaviour last night. That was it for me.

Mitzie Hunter is eyeing a run. She seems ok but ran a very uninspiring leadership campaign for the provincial Liberals. Like Bradford, she's a Civic Action alumni, which seems to be Toronto's politician factory.

Mitzie Hunter is eyeing a run. She seems ok but ran a very uninspiring leadership campaign for the provincial Liberals. Like Bradford, she's a Civic Action alumni, which seems to be Toronto's politician factory.

Has the smile; speaking is decent, not mind-blowing; but policy-wise feels very Tory, very mild, very meek, very status quo.

Might win in a crowded field; but in tough against a credible challenger, and in tougher still against two, if one is eating her political lunch.

Back